lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-17-2020, 04:09 PM   #1
deanx4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 1998 Club Car DS runs intermittently

Cart runs for 5 minutes and then starts sputtering like it is not getting enough air or gas. If you hit the choke and hold it, it will take you 50 ft and stop. Wait two minutes or so and hold the choke it would run again for about 50 ft, sputter and stop. Wait two minutes, hit choke and run another 50 ft, and so on.

Cart sat at Father-in-laws for 5 years with very little action. It has run this way since I got it 3 years ago. I've taken it to two different shops with no luck. They changed fuel pump, cleaned tak and new carb. I've just changed the Coil, the spark plug, the RPM Limiter, and fuel pump. I have taken the body off, cleaned everything, including the Air Filter box which before being cleaned the dirt buildup under the filter box caused the hose from the filter to the carb to collapse. I have replaced all fuel and vacuum lines and cleaned the carb (it was not dirty). Now after all those parts change, no choke needed, it just sputters until you stop. The fuel tank has been cleaned as well.

Looking for any ideas on what to do next.
deanx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-21-2020, 10:33 AM   #2
deanx4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 1998 Club Car DS runs intermittently

Update: When the cart stops running, it is still trying to crank, like the engine is turning over. If you wait 1 minute, it may start up and you may go a few feet or it may run for a while longer. Could it be that the clutch disengages? But then why does it reengage after sitting a minute (really, 60 seconds)?
Old 08-13-2020, 07:37 AM   #3
ooshnoo
Not Yet Wild

similar issue here. Did you get it figured out???
ooshnoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:45 PM   #4
deanx4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Not yet.
Old 08-20-2020, 09:21 PM   #5
buggyAl
Getting Wild

If you place it on jack stands will it act the same way? Vibration from travel may be causing a micro switch or broken wire to fail.
buggyAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2020, 06:59 AM   #6
1arunem
Gone Wild

I had a VERY similar issue. It took me a while to figure it out. I had cleaned carb, changed fuel pump, lines, filter, etc.

I finally figured out the fuel pickup tube had a bit of trash/dirt in it and restricting fuel flow. After cleaning it out, no more issues..
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 01:30 PM   #7
deanx4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks for the comments. Yes, I did put it on a jack stand and the same problem.

The fuel pick up line will be my next try. I did not remove it, blew into it instead and heard bubbles in the gas. Maybe it is sucking up trash. I'll pull it out and give that a try.
Old 08-28-2020, 01:23 PM   #8
deanx4
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you 1arunem. That was the fix. Dirt/trash in the fuel shut off valve. Thank you, thank you so much.
Old 09-01-2020, 06:49 AM   #9
1arunem
Gone Wild

Glad to help! I have had a lot of help given to me here and glad to pay it forward!
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2020, 07:11 PM   #10
in62095
Not Yet Wild

I have same issue with mine. I found that when i remove the plug wire right after the cart chugs out and check for spark. I have to get very close to ground to get it to spark then start moving the screwdriver out and spark get stronger. I then put the plug wire back on and starts right up. I have repeated this process many times to fix it. Only thing i have not changed yet is RPM and ignition coil. Let me know if you find fix. Thanks
in62095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car