lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2020, 05:50 PM   #1
Dink1099
Not Yet Wild

Default 1984 Gas Club Car DS - No Charge

Hello Fellas

My Club Car DS died out on the course so I changed the battery. It ran again for 5-6 rounds then died again so I just changed the solenoid. It wouldn't start right away so I charged it some. I ran it off and on in "Service" mode for the next hour. Let it sit then went and took it to the course again (5 blocks away). I played two holes and it died again.

You can hear it try to start but a very mellow whine and it won't kick over without a jump..

The next thing that comes to mind is the "micro switch". Is this the only other option??

Thanks!!

Dink
Dink1099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2020, 07:10 PM   #2
Dink1099
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1984 Gas Club Car DS - No Charge

UPDATE

I checked the starter after seeing someone say they had a frayed cable and fixed it then theirs ran..

My yellow small cable on top was completely out of the wire clamp.. I re did that but still no charge. Would that cable drain the battery and not allow it to charge after running?? Create stray voltage??
Old 08-25-2020, 07:34 PM   #3
Crack
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink1099 View Post
UPDATE

I checked the starter after seeing someone say they had a frayed cable and fixed it then theirs ran..

My yellow small cable on top was completely out of the wire clamp.. I re did that but still no charge. Would that cable drain the battery and not allow it to charge after running?? Create stray voltage??
I would change the brushes, unless it’s a aftermarket which have charging issues out the box, also try changing the volt reg
Crack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 07:48 AM   #4
Dink1099
Not Yet Wild

Where are the brushes??

Also the solenoid that I replaced only had three posts and not four but it appears the one that is used is correct is the four post.. What is the fourth post for??
Old 08-26-2020, 11:09 AM   #5
1arunem
Gone Wild

Brushes are inside the starter.

Usually have two large posts on solenoid (Power in from battery, power out to starter), then you have the two small ones. These trigger the solenoid to 'connect' power inside the solenoid from the incoming post to the outgoing post thereby sending power to the starter.

One small one is usually + and one ground.

That is my best explanation in layman's terms as I am no expert or mechanic for that matter.

Not sure about your three post solenoid.
1arunem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2020, 11:21 AM   #6
meimk
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dink1099 View Post
Also the solenoid that I replaced only had three posts and not four but it appears the one that is used is correct is the four post.. What is the fourth post for??
Otherwise looks the same but only the two large posts and 1 small post? That would be an old automotive (Ford?) starter solenoid. It's designed to ground through the mounting to the inner fender of a car. 1) You're mounting into a plastic box (no metal to ground to) & 2) it's not a "continuous duty" like the cart needs to start & charge.
meimk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2020, 07:15 AM   #7
Dink1099
Not Yet Wild

Previous owner had added a metal plate to the bottom but that still doesn't add the continuous duty..

I had driven it all spring and most of the summer before having these problems so kind of odd.

But just ordered the correct solenoid, micro switch and voltage regulator pack..

I did find that the small wire on the starter was frayed which I reconnected...
Old 09-03-2020, 12:50 PM   #8
Dink1099
Not Yet Wild

I put a new solenoid on it that is a 4 post and made for these carts and micro switches..

Will I need to charge the battery? It acted like it wanted to turn over then went completely dead..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car