lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-02-2014, 02:37 PM   #1
Younggun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 350 engine quit yesterday

Ok I had an oil leak around the crankcase so I ordered a gasket, a crank seal and a new belt since mine was worn badly on my 2002 workhorse 1200. I put everything back together Friday and since it warmed up a bit yesterday my son and I took it for a test run. I had it running prior to this briefly on the jack stands. It still starts hard and backfires through the carb? I got it running and took a spin down the road it topped out about 17 mph we only went a1/4 mile or so and turned around and headed back for the shop, we started running out of power and it eventually stalled out. When I tried to restart it it appeared to have locked up tight. We pushed it back in the shop let it cool and I grabbed the drive clutch and tried to spin it by hand and it finally popped loose and will turn freely now. Haven't tried to restart it because I was afraid of doing more damage. Any ideas where to start looking?
Younggun is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-02-2014, 07:47 PM   #2
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 350 engine quit yesterday

it's a 2002 so is it a robin engine.
Jd62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 12:06 PM   #3
Younggun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Yes it is the robin350cc 11hp twin cylinder
Old 03-03-2014, 03:46 PM   #4
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Check the compression, sounds lite a burnt stuck piston that let go after cooling.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2014, 03:55 PM   #5
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

that sound like a stuck piston
Old 03-03-2014, 05:50 PM   #6
Younggun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks guys, I had checked the compression last week before I ordered the new gasket and crank seal and it was around160-165 per cylinder. I will check it again tomorrow when I get to the shop, just was a little skeptical on cranking it over in case it had a broken rod or something. A rebuild is doable but not when there is a rod through the block! Lol well I'll throw the gauge on it in the morning and cross my fingers before I crank it over
Old 03-03-2014, 06:54 PM   #7
Jd62
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I wish you the best with your motor younggun,, keep us update.
Old 03-04-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Younggun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

well i checked compression today and it still has a little over 150 psi in each cylinder.:thumb up: i pulled the carb off and thoroughly cleaned it again to try and resolve the backfiring, hard start issues. I drained the oil and dumped it through a paint strainer to check for metal fragments in case maybe a rod bearing let loose. i see very little if any shimmering metal in the oil. I also re adjusted the valves to make sure they weren't too tight, now what? fill it with oil and run it? hope for the best? or is there something else i should look at?
Old 03-04-2014, 04:41 PM   #9
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You seem to get things done easily so I would
pull the carb and be sure you didn't dislodge something
and have some junk in the carb that could be causing
it to run lean??
Maybe take a short ride and take along a spark plug
wrench and see what color it is.
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2014, 05:28 PM   #10
Younggun
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Well I filled it with fresh oil and fired it up this afternoon,the good news is the carb cleaning must have worked because it started much easier and did not backfire. The bad news is it ran a 3-4 minutes and started to big down then stalled again, and yes once again it was locked up tight. I believe it has to be an oil flow issue now so I pulled the motor from the cart to make it easier to inspect everything and got it pretty well torn down, before I had to head home for dinner. I will pull the caps of the connecting rods tomorrow to check for scoring and then pursue the oil blockage. I did get it broke free again on e I removed the crankcase by turning the crank with a crescent wrench. Cylinders still look ok and compression is good but it won't be for long if I keep running it with no oil pressure! Let me know if I am missing anything and I'll keep posting updates as to what I find
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO