lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-23-2014, 12:30 PM   #1
sdmikey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 1999 gas 350 workhorse crazy problems

This is a wierd problem that no one seems to have heard of. I have had this cart for like 10 years.. problem just started like 3 months ago. While driving it will have a loss of power but then the power will come back like someone used a switch to turn it back on. So if driving it will be 100% normal and like a switch it goes to like half power. The funny part is when driving it at night the lights will be on and then when the cart losses power the lights get brighter! Almost as if someone turned on high beams... Then 30-90 seconds later while driving slow with bright lights and gas peddle to the floor, lights go back to normal and cart speeds up to normal. I say 30-90 seconds but there doesnt seem to be any amount of time that it does this, sometimes for a short time and others for a little longer. When running normal everything is 100% fine and it goes back and forth from this "limp" mode instantly. I would love to get rid of this problem.
sdmikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-26-2014, 10:58 AM   #2
sdmikey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1999 gas 350 workhorse crazy problems

Wow 65 views and not one reply? Someone has to have heard of this problem.
Old 05-26-2014, 11:04 AM   #3
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I would check your grounding points (all of them) - it's possible You're losing the main engine ground and the cart is trying to get a ground through the accel cable, which would explain the loss of power (and the lower draw would possibly cause the lights to brighten as this was happening) ...

It's a stab in the dark (no pun intended) but it's a common issue with the exception of the lights getting brighter (but the above scenario does hold water)
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 11:05 AM   #4
LostHusker
Just one day at a time

E-Z-GO

Someone will chime in on this, just this is a different problem. You will get a bunch of people that will read the thread but not necessary respond. This is just a wild guess but could it be the ignition coil is going bad and you are then only firing on half the engine?
LostHusker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Possibly voltage regulator going bad. If it is failing it will kick the starter gen into overdrive and put a severe load on the drive train as well as making the lights brighter. But like bcm suggested check the grounds.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 11:25 PM   #6
sdmikey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK I will check the ground to chassis and motor. .. I will look and see how much a voltage regulator is. Thank you guys for the replys. As silly as it sounds I would think someone has had this problem or seen it but I guess if someone at a shop was doing repair during the day they would have never seen the lights get brighter.
Old 05-28-2014, 06:03 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I would not assume anything without further testing. If you can get it to do it again put a VOM on the battery and see what the voltage is. Should be 13.x.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #8
sdmikey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I can put a meter on it and drive it and see...
Old 09-09-2014, 02:50 PM   #9
sdmikey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

:) ....

Last edited by sdmikey; 09-09-2014 at 02:53 PM.. Reason: double post
Old 09-09-2014, 02:51 PM   #10
sdmikey
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK I was finally able to test the cart... battery was very low from sitting for a while. I charged the battery for like 20 minutes and got it going. I put the VOM on battery and started driving, it was reading 17.9volts. After driving around for about 15 minutes the voltage seemed to come down to like 14 then a little while later after stopping and starting again it was 12.8, does it sound correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO