lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-07-2014, 02:39 PM   #1
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Exhaust stud broke off

I just got this cart with the exhaust stud broke off. They tried to drill it out and messed it up probably because they couldn't get to it good with the engine in cart. I will have engine out. Now how do I fix it? It is so far off center and close to edge I don't know if a hilicoil will work after I get the rest of the stud out. What about brazing it up and re-drill. What ever I do should I remove the cylinder. See photo and give ideas will be appreciated.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg S1055891.jpg (226.1 KB, 0 views)
ldj1002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-08-2014, 01:06 PM   #2
91kuhndog
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Exhaust stud broke off

ldj, that looks like its been butchered, not drilled. The problem with these motors is the hardware is steel an the metal is solf alloy. If you have the motor out, you may be able to get that old stud out and run a tap into the head.... or you may want to replace the head altogether. If your looking for the cheapest route, drill out that old stud, fill the hole with JB Weld, re-drill and tap. I dont recommend this method but it does/can work for a long time. I have worked on may motors that were JB Welded and re-tapped, holding nicely. Since that bolt doesnt require a heavy torque (but is exposed to high heat), you might consider going that route.

I have 2 SeaDoo GSX Ltd jet ski's that I've run for years on JB Welded engine blocks (winter freeze) and they run flawlessly.

My .02

Kuhndog

BUT... to clarify.... if it were mine, and you were planning on keeping it, I'd ebay shop for a replacement head. Peace of mind!
91kuhndog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2014, 01:26 PM   #3
Airbagged
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Weld the hole shut then mark your center point, drill and tap new threads. That spot should get pretty hot, so I don't think J&B weld like someone suggested is a good idea, at least not if you want it to last for a while.
Bigger concern for me would be why does it look like oil is dripping out of the exhaust port, I'm guessing maybe you had to put penetrant to get the other side loose.
You could also just weld on or braze on a stud and then use a lock washer and nut to hold the exhaust on, which would probably be your safest bet to avoid this in the future.
Airbagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2014, 08:30 AM   #4
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Oil dripping out because I run compression. It was 90 psi. cylinder was dry from sitting for a time so I squirted trannie fluid down to run another test and it was 110 psi. I can live with that. On another old antique engine site I ask the question and someone suggested to drill better what was left then drill and tap for a pipe plug, tighten it in, cut off and file flush. There you have a nice place to drill and tap for a new stud. That sounds good to me because don't have to worry about getting too hot. I'll let know how it works along with photos.
Old 09-14-2014, 08:46 AM   #5
ldj1002
Getting Wild

Default Re: Exhaust stud broke off UNDATE on REPAIR

Quote:
Originally Posted by ldj1002 View Post
Oil dripping out because I run compression. It was 90 psi. cylinder was dry from sitting for a time so I squirted trannie fluid down to run another test and it was 110 psi. I can live with that. On another old antique engine site I ask the question and someone suggested to drill better what was left then drill and tap for a pipe plug, tighten it in, cut off and file flush. There you have a nice place to drill and tap for a new stud. That sounds good to me because don't have to worry about getting too hot. I'll let know how it works along with photos.
I wanted to pass this along
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2008-01-02 00.13.58.jpg (189.1 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-01-02 00.21.04.jpg (187.0 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-01-02 03.19.24.jpg (220.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-01-02 03.21.20.jpg (226.9 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg 2008-01-02 04.14.45.jpg (217.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 09-14-2014, 04:34 PM   #6
deerhunter30
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Good job bud, glad it worked out for you.
deerhunter30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2014, 07:01 PM   #7
hookm
Younger Than Dirt

Club Car

Good job
hookm is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO