lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2014, 05:26 PM   #1
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Default 97 Gas needs more power

To start this off I just picked up this 97 gas txt. My first gas. I know the carb need to be cleaned, has a hard time getting up to speed and feels like it has no power. when in nutural the motor sound like it has power but in gear its real sluggish. What are some things i can do to give it a little more juice. Dont think i did too bad for $1K. Already lifted and has new rims and tires on it

chriskent85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Default Re: 97 Gas needs more power

I know the motor is a robin but im not sure anything else about it. Size or anything.

Robin BH29C
Old 11-19-2014, 07:01 PM   #3
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Clutch work will do magic for a lifted cart. First things first, full tune-up (filters, plugs, ect). Fresh fuel. These motors can be pretty hard on their valves & seats, so a valve adjust is top of list too. Might as well check compression (after valve adjust) while doing this stuff, so you know if that has anything to do with it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #4
chriskent85
Gone Wild

what clutch kit do you suggest? and a valve adjustment looks pretty easy.
Old 11-20-2014, 10:16 AM   #5
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Ordered everything but the clutch kit. New head gasket too so I can clean the carbon out of the head. Anything to be careful about cleaning the head?

is this a good clutch kit?
http://www.mymadjax.com/Shop-by-Cate.../18-009_2.html
Old 11-21-2014, 08:44 AM   #6
chriskent85
Gone Wild

Holy cow what a difference a valve adjustment can do!
Old 11-21-2014, 09:36 AM   #7
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

It is a OHC motor, be careful with timing belt if removing head. I have never used his EZGO kit, but i love his Yamaha stuff, i would go for it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, bad valves can rob a TON of power, I've had carts come in that barely moved and a quick setting straightened them out ...

As to the clutch work, the best "bang for the buck" would be to call Cart Parts Plus and order a 28 degree helix and ramps to convert your driven clutch from the stock 36 degree to 28 (doesn't give any top end, but You'll see about a 20% increase in torque and takeoff immediately) ... Secondly, replacing your belt with one of the HD ones like in that kit will not do anything except help eliminate minor belt slippage, for a lot less money you can just buy a 1" shorter than stock belt, it will add yet another 15% or so of takeoff and pulling power by keeping the clutches in a higher ratio for a longer period, and it'll only cost You about 2mph at the top end (I'm assuming You have adjusted or eliminated the governor already, if so You can still expect 26-27mph on big tires w a stock EZGO and a 28deg driven clutch/shorter belt) .... Front to back, the helix, ramp buttons, and belt should be well under $100 shipped and will do far more than a simple spring kit.

Also, IMHO the drive clutch spring kits are a pain, they generally raise the RPM at which the clutch engages, so starts become jerky, lurching affairs instead of a smooth takeoff. Do they increase torque, yes - but minimally (not as much as swapping the helix and belt) and again, unless You are hauling 6 people constantly, pulling a huge trailer, or drag racing I'd be willing to bet You'd hate the drive clutch after adding the spring.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 10:50 AM   #9
chriskent85
Gone Wild

i see there helix but not the ramp
Old 11-21-2014, 12:53 PM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

call them, they stock the ramp buttons too (might not be on the website though as it's a smaller part) - I want to say they're around $15 or less for a full set of 3
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO