lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-20-2015, 09:01 AM   #1
seastrike
Not Yet Wild

Default safe adjustment?

I adjusted the governor so the nut is close to the bottom of the thread on my 2013 txt. it will hit 23 at wot. is this still a safe speed for the engine or do I need to back it off a little bit. I have been mostly keeping it at like 19-20mph to cruise. I read about the over revving a little and some other damage that can be done by eliminating the governor. Factory setting had it topped out at 16 mph according to phone gps and it seemed a little slow.
seastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-20-2015, 01:47 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: safe adjustment?

If that is the Kawasaki that might be a little fast if you are running stock tires. I have read somewhere they don't like above 4K rpm and the EZGo Kawasaki does not have a rev limiter.. Read that as bad things can happen. I put a tach on mine to keep an eye on it and have it setup where foot on the floorboard equals 3900 and change with just me in it. With 21 inch tires it runs 25 and a smidge
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 08:09 AM   #3
seastrike
Not Yet Wild

The tires are 18 inches... not sure what the safe speed is on that size. I have read about the no rev limiter and the rear end issues on some. Is it a big deal to install a tach?
seastrike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 04:22 PM   #4
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

On the 13hp Kawi the valves will float before the engine over-revs so You're only in danger of harming the engine say running downhill at WOT (a tach will help here as well as a sharp eye and some self-control). As to the governors, that's a little-less predictable. My buddy who has been a Field Tech for EZGO since the 90's has told me that ANY adjustment from factory increases the risk of rear-end damage exponentially, in fact ANY adjustment by a customer (Private OR Fleet) immediately voids any factory warranty, it's THAT bad. Personally, I'd take the time to just tear the rear end apart NOW and pull the whole governor, that way You're not at risk anytime the cart is run over the factory 12mph (if yours did 16 it had already been tweaked a bit, likely by someone who was aware of the danger of opening it up further).

KG's definitely right by recommending the Tach no matter what You do though, good Advice!
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2015, 09:51 AM   #5
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Tack was simple. I bought one made by Moose, mounted it above the cup holders and ran a wire back to loop around the spark plug wire. cake
Old 01-22-2015, 10:13 AM   #6
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Equus makes a great tach, the model number is 8068 and it's accurate plus easy to install (I use those exclusively on my personal carts) but a bit spendy (around $80) - on the upside it has a nice big well-lit display so it doesn't disappear on You at night or in the glare of sunlight. The Moose (or equivalent) styles are accurate too as well as cheaper ($20-30) and also easy to install, the LCD displays are a bit harder to read though, depending on how and where You mount them (and if the cart sees a lot of rain or sits outside, either way You'll have to find a dry spot to mount them which generally means too far away under the dash for the 1/2" LCD numbers of the digitals to be easily seen, at least by MY middle-aged eyes, LOL) ...
Old 01-22-2015, 10:20 AM   #7
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Brew, mine is waterproof and mounted just above the left cup holder on my RXV so just within my eyesight.. I usually glance at it once or twice to get a reference and then go by pitch of the engine. Your setup is much better but didn't want to spend the change and couldn't figure out a place I would like it..
Old 01-22-2015, 01:01 PM   #8
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Yeah, it was a drag trying to decide on the first one, too obtrusive on the column and the leads they give (which shouldn't be extended) are too short to mount it overhead under the canopy - I just mount them inside the driver glove box now, keeps 'em dry and even though it eats some space, it's safe even if I leave the cart outside in the rain (which happens more than I'd like to admit, LOL) ... Which Moose do You use, btw? I've used the epoxy-filled ones and they always end up getting moisture in them regardless and stop working or the displays get jazzed up after a season or so ... The $12 Chinese ones are worse, I've had them die after getting rained on just once.
Old 01-24-2015, 10:02 AM   #9
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I will get the name off of it today but just bought it from my local bike shop. Like $30 but he helps me out on lots of things so I don't mind throwing him a little extra. May need to get that number from you for CT in Apling, may have fubared my 08 Robbins. Think the check valve failed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO