lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-11-2016, 07:51 PM   #1
bekind
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 91 G2a winter project (paint and lift)

Hi all,

I need help with picking up a lift for the yamaha g2a. some threads praise one type of lift and others are critical of it. Making matter worse, my neighbor has recently added a lift to his cart which negatively affected the handling and performance. I would like to avoid that at all cost... I'm looking for a lift that:
- doesn't impact neither handling nor performance.
- safe to drive in steep hills. Tires to handle sand at the beach
- looks cool
- No cutting or welding. complete package.
- up to $1k for lift, tires\wheels, shocks.

I'm in favor of Jakes long travel lift kit but some stated that it is not safe since the rear tires are narrower than the front. Please provide your recommendation. Thanks. (sorry for the long thread)
bekind is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-11-2016, 08:02 PM   #2
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: 91 G2a winter project (paint and lift)

I like the double a arm, works like a long travel but uses stock shocks, less travel.

The G2 Project 66.JPG

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2016, 09:46 PM   #3
bekind
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Ron, I'll check the double A Arm. I'm hoping to perform a whole package, that is the lift, wheels\tires, and shocks. hopefully you or others can offer recommendation on that package.
Old 12-12-2016, 12:29 PM   #4
supra4life28
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
Hi all,

I need help with picking up a lift for the yamaha g2a. some threads praise one type of lift and others are critical of it. Making matter worse, my neighbor has recently added a lift to his cart which negatively affected the handling and performance. I would like to avoid that at all cost... I'm looking for a lift that:
- doesn't impact neither handling nor performance.
- safe to drive in steep hills. Tires to handle sand at the beach
- looks cool
- No cutting or welding. complete package.
- up to $1k for lift, tires\wheels, shocks.

I'm in favor of Jakes long travel lift kit but some stated that it is not safe since the rear tires are narrower than the front. Please provide your recommendation. Thanks. (sorry for the long thread)

I have never felt nor noticed any stability concerns with the lift. I added 2" spacers to the rear for aesthetics so the width would match the front. I don't know anyone who has had the long travel not recommend it but I could be wrong. You will be hard pressed to have any negative feedback other than the cost. I ride around on 23" tires routinely with a full cart and have never had any concerns.

Good luck!
supra4life28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

I am going to strongly recommend the LT kit - I have installed literally dozens of them on customers carts as well as have run them on my own offroad carts for years and would never recommend anything else provided the cost isn't a factor. The additional cost to widen the rear axle to the same width with spacers is well under $100 no matter what style of spacers You use, in fact if You use the spacers by ATV Engineering You're looking at under $50. I own a retired Ski area with about 80 acres of insane terrain, old-growth hardwood forests, and plenty of swamp at the front end of the lower 40 so my carts see stumps, very steep grades, downfall, wet and mud routinely and the LT just makes a night and day difference in stability and handling.
BrewCityMusic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2016, 07:58 PM   #6
bekind
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks Guys, I will go with the LT lift. Any recommendation on wheels and tires? 22 or 23"? Tires for soft sandy areas. Wheels, cool but not too flashy

Some updates, I disassembled the cart and did some initial inspection. The cart has been parked outside for the last 8 years, and to my surprise, there is not much rust on the frame. Some rust at the battery area. I'm not sure if I want to strip and paint the frame. I could clean it and touch up the rusted areas with some rust reformer (not sure if that's a good idea)
Now, here comes the odd question. Can someone tell me what type of paint (metallic, glossy, two tones, etc...) to get and what color would look good on the G2 giving that the body is flexible plastic. I'm open to any color that you have used on G2.

g2-7.jpg g2-3.jpg g2-2.jpg
Old 12-13-2016, 12:25 PM   #7
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

As to the frame, I'd go ahead and clean it up and paint it as long as You're this far into it - I used a silver POR-15 on this G14 frame and it went on pretty easy, seals and prevents rust, and has already proven to be quite durable (I had a good sized piece of 3/4" pipe accidentally fall on the frame - long story - and it didn't leave a mark) ...

20161118_141017.jpg

As to the body, the most important part is to make *sure* you have everything clean, clean, clean - then apply a good adhesion promoter prior to priming and painting. Dupli-Color makes a spray-bomb adhesion promoter than I have used in a pinch and seems to work well, but I'm sure others will have products that have worked for them too. There's a great thread on painting carts in the "Body and Paint" section, here's a link to it:

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/body-...ic-bodies.html

As to wheels and tires, make sure You go with at least a 1" offset, with a 7" wide rim that would mean either 3:4 or 2:5, also with the LT kit You have to go at least a 10" rim (I prefer 12 minimum or even 14's - the pic above is 23X10.5-14 tires on 14X7 rims with 3:4 offset) - also make sure the tire is a minimum 4-ply (preferably 6ply) as a lot of the cheaper 2-ply tires will give You excessive tire-roll and are sloopy to driveon at speed.

Last edited by BrewCityMusic; 12-13-2016 at 12:28 PM.. Reason: Forgot to answer the tire question, LOL
Old 12-13-2016, 01:36 PM   #8
bekind
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

BrewCityMusic - Thank you for the detailed and complete information.
I haven never stripped a vehicle to the frame before but I will go ahead and do so for this cart and give it a good frame paint. I'm sure that the wires will have to be replaced. Any thoughts on rewiring?
There are some online Jakes lift and tires bundle that come with 23x11-12 Desert Fox All-Terrain Tires and 12x7 3:4 Offset Storm Trooper Machined & Black Wheels. It seems to fall within your recommendation but not sure of the quality. Any experience with Buggies Unlted? Is there any other seller associated or recommended by this forum? Thanks again.
Old 12-13-2016, 06:45 PM   #9
maxim1157
Gone Wild
Yamaha

BrewCity.. love the look of the POR-15 in the silver, I used the Black on mine then covered it with flat black.
maxim1157 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #10
BrewCityMusic
Hammer Down !!!!

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bekind View Post
BrewCityMusic - Thank you for the detailed and complete information.
I haven never stripped a vehicle to the frame before but I will go ahead and do so for this cart and give it a good frame paint. I'm sure that the wires will have to be replaced. Any thoughts on rewiring?
There are some online Jakes lift and tires bundle that come with 23x11-12 Desert Fox All-Terrain Tires and 12x7 3:4 Offset Storm Trooper Machined & Black Wheels. It seems to fall within your recommendation but not sure of the quality. Any experience with Buggies Unlted? Is there any other seller associated or recommended by this forum? Thanks again.
LOL the "Stormtrooper" is my favorite style of rim ever made, I actually have the 12X7 2:5 with 23" Duro's on my personal cart - I've had them on there for a few years now, and believe ME, if *I* haven't damaged them You likely won't either, LOL.

Yamaha wiring harnesses are generally easy to remove in one piece, BTW - just take your time and mark where each plug goes and You should be able to re-use yours (plus it's a great opportunity to clean up the contacts in all your Molex connectors / plugs).

As always, the Site Sponsors can help You source what You need, BU is Nivels' "Retail" site so generally the sponsors can do You better price-wise as well as with much better support and service.

As to stripping the frame, Yours doesn't look too bad, I would get a couple of good wire wheels for your angle grinder and a 12-pack, one 5 or 6" wheel for the easy to get to spots and the larger surfaces, and a smaller cup brush for other areas (what type of Beer is totally Your call, LOL) - a couple of good wire brushes (one stiff, one softer and smaller for corners, etc) ... You're probably looking at $20 at Harbor Freight and an afternoon to get that thing ready to shoot. I just recently started using POR at the recommendation of one of my Painting Buddies, the stuff really does a great job of hiding imperfections, sticks like the dickens, and only needs a good wipedown with paint thinner, etc to prep the metal.

Tags
lift., yamaha g2
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha