lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-22-2017, 08:31 AM   #11
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Default Re: G29 Vegas Big Block vs. Plowman hot setup

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamarancher View Post
Aftermarket parts will never equal oem ! Plowmans is the yamaha guy on this planet.
You will NEVER make the stock clutch works as well as the comet 780 and you will NEVER the stock engine to produce anywhere the power and torque of the VC 460. Lastly there will NEVER be all the speed equipment there is for the clones for the stocker.
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-22-2017, 06:56 PM   #12
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I got 38mph gps out of my 420 clone with stock block and internals. It only has .050 head cut and ported, 4 degree key, header into car muffler, custom general motors supplied airbox that was $10 at the boneyard, many pvc fittings and clamps lol. This was with the stock clone carb yet just jetted up, and did that with stock yamaha clutches. It has 1.3 rockers in it too and HD springs. It runs a stock belt size, stock generator/starter also. I put a 32mm CV carb on it now and it runs nicer for sure, but full power did not change much if any. Could be my custom intake not sure, the carb is in front of the motor now where I can get at it and its does not have an inch of dust on it.

I can tell you a stock 420 in a G9 with same 22s I have will do 31 gps. It might do 34 or 35 with HD springs it does not have. All it has is car muffler and airbox, jetted stock carb, that is it. Stock G9 clutches that were rebuilt back when parts were affordable. Runs like a champ and feels like twice the power, it would be scary with HS gears add 10mph to that and more with a cheap set of springs and timing key. But the people that use it tell me its plenty fast enough don't touch it lol, however there its used offroad or non paved roads/drives where you don't often want to go super fast.

For reference those G9 stock motor did 27 gps with governor all the way up, 28-31 no governor depending on if you were on pavement or dirt. It took at least twice the distance to reach top speed.

Plowmans makes great stuff I would recommend him any time! But if you want power you want a larger engine and/or one that runs better like larger ports or cam for example. So its all in what you want, swap is still more of a project but much easier with kits they now have. If Plowmans has what you want, you want to stay with that motor, you can't go wrong with him he is a yamaha cart guru for sure.

I modded my stock clutch a lot, I was pulling trailers and heavy stuff before I got a umax spring and cut sheave in it. It worked well but with enough mods I could not get it to shift at 4K rpm. I got it to shift higher than stock drilling the weights but more drilling would not change it more. I had to get a different clutch finally. It also dragged at near idle speeds before it would rev up and go, and that caused my cut head to spark knock some when hot and I gassed it hard. The new clutch engages at higher rpm all the time and does not do that.

On top of all that, the VC460 makes over double HP a cart engine does. Its huge difference and gets way more rpm for big top speeds. The engine has lots of HD parts, its a deal you can't beat. And it ends up being a brand new engine for what, half of a full rebuild of a stock engine? I mean if you like the stock cart that is great, but many of us enjoy a little more.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 08:50 PM   #13
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Well I went ahead and bought the Vegas big block 460 kit last week with the optional manifold to run the 32mm carb down the road. I think I can advanced the timing and and a bigger carb if I want to and will run 93 octane non ethanol fuel . I used to race go karts so I'm in my comfort range with modding the engine if needed. I'm guessing I'll be in the 40mph + range with the stock gears and 23" tires. I'm hoping I can turn 600p rpm with no valve float but I can always add some springs to correct that too. I think with the huge aftermarket parts market the mostly billet rotating mass and their clutch I'll have more than I need and have the fastest cart in my town. Which is the most important thing. Am I right??
Nicksel1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:40 PM   #14
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

They say it can run 6K rpm, I only see around 5200 out of my lifan but it has stock cam also. The VC460 has a cheater cam that runs better it has more duration. I'm be putting that cam in mine and the billet rod soon. I would guess the timing is advanced but not sure, they did just come out with an adjustable timing bracket for the coil, its pretty cool. Still would be a hassle to remove the shrouding in the cart.

I don't know about the carb, they say when you mod them a larger carb helps. I think with a cam then you can do it. I put a 32mm CV on mine and its not doing much at WOT for it, but I don't have the cam in yet. It runs pretty much the same as it did. The CV carb works a LOT better IMO it is smoother and starts great, throttle has no dead spots like the stock carb did, now it runs more like an atv any throttle works great. Of course that carb was like 75 bucks its the pumper version. But the 460 already has a cam in it. I don't remember how different their carb is, I know they did some changes to it. I jetted mine way richer to run right, my engine is a lifan from before the vc460 came out.

This is the big brother to the gx200, lots of stuff out there for it though the vc460 already has a lot of parts in it.
Old 04-24-2017, 10:38 PM   #15
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
They say it can run 6K rpm, I only see around 5200 out of my lifan but it has stock cam also. The VC460 has a cheater cam that runs better it has more duration. I'm be putting that cam in mine and the billet rod soon. I would guess the timing is advanced but not sure, they did just come out with an adjustable timing bracket for the coil, its pretty cool. Still would be a hassle to remove the shrouding in the cart.

I don't know about the carb, they say when you mod them a larger carb helps. I think with a cam then you can do it. I put a 32mm CV on mine and its not doing much at WOT for it, but I don't have the cam in yet. It runs pretty much the same as it did. The CV carb works a LOT better IMO it is smoother and starts great, throttle has no dead spots like the stock carb did, now it runs more like an atv any throttle works great. Of course that carb was like 75 bucks its the pumper version. But the 460 already has a cam in it. I don't remember how different their carb is, I know they did some changes to it. I jetted mine way richer to run right, my engine is a lifan from before the vc460 came out.

This is the big brother to the gx200, lots of stuff out there for it though the vc460 already has a lot of parts in it.
well the adjustable timing bracket comes with the motor now. Installed? In not sure. Aaron said the 32mm will wake up the cart. We kinda went back and forth and I'm understanding they could keep adding different parts but you have to kinda of stop somewhere and there 21mm carb is preset and ready to run out of box and the 32mm needs constant tuning ... But I went ahead and bought the 32mm adapter to run down the road. There's another forum that shall Remane nameless that guy is putting on a super charger on his 460. I've been following that thread really closely lol
Old 04-25-2017, 06:32 AM   #16
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

Both Shepard with the supercharger build and I are also running the NR racing 1.3 ratio shaft mounted roller rocker arms for more top end kick and better valve train stability.You can certainly add this later if you feel the need for more speed. We both have added an adjustable main jet to the VC carb to handle the increased air flow with various mods. I see Shepard has also gotten the adjustable timing mount so I am sure we will get a report.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:03 PM   #17
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Just an update for anyone interested. The motor swap is complete. Having fuel delivery issues. Not 100% sure the stock vacuum pump can deliver enough fuel to the big block. I replaced with a new one and it still acts like it's running out of gas. When you pull the line it's almost dry so I ordered a me gasket electric micro pump. Model 42S. Still not sure on drive belt tension. It has just a little play. But I would not say it has slack. You an still spin the clutch on the motor by hand and hold on to the belt and it will spin. Also it has strange squeal from one of the clutchs is assume. Only at certain rpm rather annoying. Not sure of the culprit. On testing the setup. It pulls wayyyy hard when you accelerate and it'll cruise 40mph on gps but after that it's a little to wobbley. I need an alignment and tire pressure check.
Old 06-04-2017, 07:50 PM   #18
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Common for a new belt to be sticky, but you should have minimum 1" play when you press on the top between clutches.
Old 06-04-2017, 09:01 PM   #19
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

The belt had a little squeal on my VC 460 swap until it wore in a bit.
Old 06-05-2017, 07:08 AM   #20
Nicksel1
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by raydhd View Post
The belt had a little squeal on my VC 460 swap until it wore in a bit.
Almost sounds like metal noise in the clutch when shifting. Like a screatching sound.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha