lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-24-2017, 08:43 PM   #1
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G29 drives horrible at high speed

I have a g29 with 6 inch lift and 23 inch tires. At high speed the body roll makes it nearly impossible to keep in one lane on the road. I was wondering if the heavy duty rear springs will correct the body roll so I can keep on trucking?
bigred4749 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-24-2017, 08:53 PM   #2
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: G29 drives horrible at high speed

Has 6 inch jakes spindle lift
Old 04-24-2017, 09:49 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That does help, you also may need to change the toe in. Also make sure you don't have any loose wheel bearings, suspension arms, steering, etc, that could move enough to make it weave around. If the toe is too far in it will dart and turn fast on the pavement at speed, if too far out they like to wander and you have to correct a lot. I had to loosen my rods and keep changing it little at a time until I got the balance I liked where it goes straight and calm, but turns when I turn it. I've hit 38 mph gps with my clone motor so it has to be right. But that is a G9 and the rear suspension does not articulate, so it does not lean.

If you get the toe right its usually none to slight toe in if you measure the front tires. Then it should go straight, it will still lean when you turn but wont turn until you turn it. Hopefully someone with a G29 will see this and has info on how rear springs work.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:37 PM   #4
bigred4749
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I'm thinking about getting 4wheeler shocks to put on the the rear like off a racing quad front shocks
Old 04-25-2017, 08:52 AM   #5
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Before you start replacing the OEM parts, check the front end parts, and check and adjust the toe. After installing a lift, the cart will and should drive down the road correctly in the stock configuration.
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 09:01 AM   #6
PingEye3
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes, the toe in is the key to feeling comfortable at speed especially rounding curves. I found neutral to 1/8 toe out worked best for me. You can replace the 'gas' coil over shocks with the heavier duty 'electric' coil over shocks. That could help stability, just haven't tried it. The gas version has 5/16" wire making the coils and the 'electric' has 3/8" wire for the coils (approximate). These are both stock Yamaha parts. When I install lithium packs in the G29, I replace the 'electric' with 'gas' for a bettrer ride.
PingEye3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 06:08 PM   #7
Dflowe
Getting Wild

Yamaha

Adjusting the toe in the almost zero cured this on both of my 6" lift Yamaha carts. I started off adjusting it to 1/8" and that felt good. I tried it with maybe a 1/16" and it's been great. That change completely cured the scary ride on mine.
Dflowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 07:46 PM   #8
TopherAndTick
Gone Wild

Yamaha

3 inch jakes spindle lift here.
I went to no toe, straight front tires. Did pretty good. Went to 1/8 inch toe in. Drives great. I can turn and drive however I want.
31 MPH
TopherAndTick is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha