lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-01-2017, 11:38 AM   #1
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Will a worn out diaphram cause weak fuel flow?

Ok so once again I'm here to ask the experts for their help. I have replaced both crank seals, all of the fuel lines, fuel filter, vac tube to back of pump and also cleaned the fuel pump. I'm able to ride for about 10 minutes before it runs out of gas and empties the fuel filter completely. Once I blow some air into the tank the fuel filter fills back up with gas and I can get another 10 minutes or so of ride time. Could my problem be a weak/bad diaphram? I'm getting fuel when i remove the line to the carb, but the stream seems weak to me(almost just a trickle). I took the pump off and could hear it clicking inside when i blew into the back of it. Would a old/worn diaphram or leak around one of the pump gaskets cause this problem? The pump is original, but alot of people on here say the fuel pump is pretty much indestructable which is why I'm stumped. But the cart is 35 years old now and it has me wondering. Anyone ever find a bad diaphram in their fuel pump before or have similar symptoms and it turned out to be something else?
Molon Labe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-01-2017, 11:52 AM   #2
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Will a worn out diaphram cause weak fuel flow?

I would say yes sounds like you have covered all the basics I put a rebuild kit in mine as preventive maintenance and it made a big difference in flow
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 12:17 PM   #3
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Spicy...the more i think about the only other thing that I can think of other than the fuel pump would be the crank seals. Maybe i didn't put them in just right since it was my first seal job. Seemed ok when I put them in though and ran alot better afterwards. Gonna spray some starting fluid around the seals tonight to see if i get an rpm change. Sure hope thats not the problem because i would feel like a real dumba$$. If i get no rpm change then i guess the only thing left to look at would be the fuel pump itself, right?
Old 05-01-2017, 12:59 PM   #4
Lochlin
Gone Wild

You have an odd one there. That your pump is emptying the fuel filter makes me think that you are getting gas from the filter to the pump ok. You aren't getting it from the tank to the filter. Rebuilding / replacing the pump can't hurt. Sounds like you did everything else.

Does your gas tank have a vent on it? If so, is it working? You may want to try taking the the gas cap off (temporarily) and seeing if that helps things?

You could convert to an electric pump. That would probably get the cart running but that would leave the underlying problem not corrected which can cause bigger problems down the road.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 01:09 PM   #5
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Crank seals are pretty straight forward even being your first time I'd doubt anything is wrong with them unless you rammed them home with a straight screw driver lol
Old 05-01-2017, 01:11 PM   #6
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Ya i cleaned and checked the tank vent. I could hear the ball rattle inside of it and could get air out but not in which tells me its doing what it is supposed to. This one has me stumped for sure.
Old 05-01-2017, 01:18 PM   #7
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Does anyone think that a weak/old diaphram would be enough to push fuel to the carb but not strong enough to pull from the tank?
Old 05-01-2017, 04:14 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Yes it has a long ways to travel from tank all the way around the back of the cart then back up to carb
Old 05-01-2017, 04:21 PM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

What about the gas cap. This sounds like the fuel tank ends up under vacuum, then everything's going fine once you let some air into the tank.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2017, 08:09 PM   #10
Molon Labe
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Cgtech...this better not be happening because of a gas cap...the guys at camp will never let me hear the end of it. I'll have to make up some kinda issue like a bad canooter valve or something.....you and spicy make some good points though...it is a long way to travel all that fuel on a potentially bad fuel pump, but a gas cap causing a vaccuum is something I haven't thought of...I guess I'll try the cheapest route first and run it with the cap loose

Tags
fuel pump problems, g1 fuel pump, not getting enough fuel, weak fuel flow
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha