lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2017, 07:16 PM   #1
dk123
Not Yet Wild

Default Empty oil reservoir on just purchased 1984 Yamaha Golf Cart

So I just purchased yesterday what appears by serial number to be a 1984-1985 Yamaha gas golf cart and it starts and runs perfect, but I opened the engine compartment today to check the gas and noticed it has oil reservoir beside it that is completely empty. Trying to figure out if this could potentially be a bad warning sign before I call seller to question him? The seller buys and flips golf carts selling them out of his front yard and took the one I bought in on a trade. Any advice on testing by someone who is not very mechanical? Should I put oil in it to determine if there is a leak / problem? If so, what kind of oil and amount with reservoir being completely dry? Any advice appreciated!
dk123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2017, 07:19 PM   #2
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Default Re: Empty oil reservoir on just purchased 1984 Yamaha Golf Cart

I would follow lines to make sure the oil pump is still connected. another line goes to transaxel. Alot of people bypass oil pump and run premix.
BrutalSoldier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 07:25 PM   #3
dk123
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrutalSoldier View Post
I would follow lines to make sure the oil pump is still connected. another line goes to transaxel. Alot of people bypass oil pump and run premix.
So do you think I should put oil in the oil reservoir and if so what amount and weight? Do you recommend just mixing gas and oil? If so, I just filled a 5 gallon plastic container with gas....how many ounces of oil and what kind / weight? Sorry for strange questions, just know nothing about engines
Old 07-02-2017, 07:32 PM   #4
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

2-stroke oil. I use a good synthetic marine brand but any kind will work. I would question original owner if they by-passed the the oiling system. As far as mixture I have seen a lot of different views. I chose to keep my factory system in place because it gives variable mixing rates matched to RPMs of engine.
Old 07-02-2017, 08:26 PM   #5
Shepard
Crazy Ole Man

Yamaha

I wouldn't start it -- even for a second till you talk to the seller. Like it has been said earlier that it could be setup for premixed gas. I wouldn't guess -- go to or call a Yamaha dealer and find out the facts. Not to knock anyone else -- but I wouldn't follow any bodies mix suggestions -- who's to say there right. Get the facts.
Shepard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:34 PM   #6
dk123
Not Yet Wild

Too late on not starting suggestion. I had already driven it for about one hour when I read your post. I called the guy I bought it from who has been buying and reselling them for years and he had taken it in on a trade and said to be safe to just mix 6 Ozs 2 cycle oil in with 5 gallons of gas, so that is what I did and ran it for a hour and it did fine. He said to do it that way just in case there were any issues with oil container not mixing properly.... Agree with that advice? Also, I had already driven it for about 30 minutes yesterday before I even raised the seat and noticed oil container was empty. No leaks or smoking and seems to run perfect best I can tell
Old 07-02-2017, 09:37 PM   #7
dk123
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Shepard and BrutalSoldier for your feedback
Old 07-02-2017, 09:46 PM   #8
BrutalSoldier
Addictive Personality

Club Car

Sounds like there was probably premix already in the tank. You should find out what is up with stock oil system. If you are going to run premix the stock system should be plugged off imo.
Old 07-03-2017, 09:00 AM   #9
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Those automatic oilers aren't the most reliable systems. Many people disengage them and simply premix the gas / oil. I'd bet that's what's up with your cart.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 11:21 AM   #10
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Ran mine at 100:1 witch is 6.7 oz to 5 gallons if I remember right minimum smoke at that ratio the factory oiler put out 128:1-300:1 depending on running conditions I wouldn't go any thinner than 100:1
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha