lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-31-2017, 10:38 PM   #1
austindebalski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default 1982 Yamaha G1 Starved Fuel

S215-002822 (stamped on motor)
J17 cylinder head

Okay guys, I'm back to the forum. I tricked out my 1984 G1 and ran out of stuff to do to it. My friend got a hold of a 1982 model and I bought it from him. I had no idea it was hard to find parts on this rarity :(

I took it apart just like the first one and had a blast getting it running. Pouring gas straight in the cylinder produced a running engine so I determined my fuel pump needed replacing (it was not pumping gas). It actually looked like it was in better condition than the other one but it wasn't working. I installed a Briggs and Stratton vacuum style fuel pump and it took me around for an hour just humming down the road. It died and I tested for spark. No spark! I took my coil from the other golf cart and I was back rolling again. I ordered and installed new belts, air filter, carburetor, and spark plug once I knew it worked. I don't know if the 82 has a different carb but the one on eBay was for 83-89 and it was exactly the same (maybe it was replaced at one point?). I rode for a while and it died. The problem I was having was up hills it would struggle to pull. If there was any incline from stopped position it wouldn't turn over. Had to have a lot of choke to start always. II had to be on a slight grade either forward or reverse for it to turn on. If I kept it wide open it wouldn't die going up hills. It died this time because I let off the gas at the bottom of the hill. I towed it to my house and began diagnosing what could be the problem. I noticed some residue coming out of the shroud (fan side) and some residue under the engine. I took the shroud off investigating and didn't see anything obvious. Instantly I thought how could I have missed it. I have spark, I have fuel, but I need air. I took of the muffler and it fired up. I'm going to BBQ it soon. I got it to run pretty good but then it wouldn't run with the carb. I took ithe carb off and shot gas straight in and it worked. I don't understand what's going on. It's like it has way to much fuel. But the pump worked great for hours 2 different times. I took the cylinder head off just trying to see what was going on. I noticed a small chunk of the piston was off the bottom. There was no wear on the wall or piston itself. I noticed fire shooting through the exhaust when I was trying to get it going (could I have blown this piece of the piston off reving too much with no muffler?). Because there is no damage inside (maybe it shot straight out). Or it could have been the previous owner. Don't know.

Really need help on what to do. Don't know how to even start on crank seal replacement. I've seen a lot of recommendation for that in the posts I've read. Don't know if the piston can survive the way it is since the 82 are hard to find. Don't know if my fuel pump is the problem. It's just strange it'd work so long and then all of a sudden be too much fuel. Please help guys. If you have resources for 82 G1 or can help in anyway please post.

Austin
austindebalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-01-2017, 08:12 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: 1982 Yamaha G1 Starved Fuel

Quote:
Originally Posted by austindebalski View Post
I noticed some residue coming out of the shroud (fan side) and some residue under the engine.
This, my good man, is a sure sign of crank seals that need replaced. They are leaking and the residue you speak of is residual oil that is seeping out of the fan side seal. If the seal is degraded to the point where oil is seeping out then it sure as heck won't be able to stop air from getting in. That means loss of vacuum which means loss of fuel draw which mean loss of power, excessive choking, and every other symptom you list.

The good news is that crank seals on G1s aren't all that tough. Getting the clutch off is usually the worst part. Investing a clutch bolt will save you some time. A wheel puller will work too but the bolt is a bit easier.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2017, 09:04 PM   #3
austindebalski
Not Yet Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: 1982 Yamaha G1 Starved Fuel

I got the engine broken down but the seals were hardened to the crankcase. I scraped it all off but it looks like some is in the groves. Is this normal? Do I just put new seal over? How do I get the tiny seal parts out of the groove.
austindebalski is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha