lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-25-2018, 10:29 PM   #1
tcophillips
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2015 g29 electrical issue- pulling my hair out

So I have a 2015 g29, efi and it is putting out way to much voltage at medium and higher rpms. Voltage is reaching the 17 range and causes the stereo to cut in and out and lights to flicker.

Long story short it had a new aftermarket starter generator on it so I went ahead and replaced the voltage regulator. That didn’t fix it. So next, I ordered a oem hitachi starter generator and that didn’t fix the voltage spike either. Oem one I ordered was part # jn6-h1100-04-00 from boats.net for about $250. I am usually very electrically inclined but this has stumped me.

Is there a possibility that a bad ecu/ecm is causing this issue. Or is it normal for these carts to put out this much voltage ?

Harness going into regulator is in good shape. Cart runs great- only has 63 hours. Radio sounds great until engine rpms increase. I just want to listen to the stereo while I’m driving and not have it cutting in and out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tcophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-25-2018, 10:35 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: 2015 g29 electrical issue- pulling my hair out

It's a common issue, and yes, gas Yamahas charge pretty hot. If you can find the older style mechanical voltage regulator some are adjustable to set voltage. The little finned one you have is not adjustable.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2018, 11:58 PM   #3
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I had the exact same trouble than you when I had to change my electronic version. I found one almost 2 years ago... I contacted a lot of suppliers and only ONE had an adjustable one:

https://golfcartcare.com/parts?keywo...lator-72-to-94

Now, needing one, I would first confirm with them if it is still adjustable before ordering...

I installed it on my G15-A and am quite happy with it since then. They are not all cheap, even one is made in USA, but they simply are not adjustable and it is a feature I absolutely wanted.

Actually, it keeps the system between 13.5 to 14.4. It is not easy to setup as the value changes when in place and you put back the cover; so it is a question of several tries.
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 07:50 PM   #4
tcophillips
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by sformal View Post
I had the exact same trouble than you when I had to change my electronic version. I found one almost 2 years ago... I contacted a lot of suppliers and only ONE had an adjustable one:

https://golfcartcare.com/parts?keywo...lator-72-to-94

Now, needing one, I would first confirm with them if it is still adjustable before ordering...

I installed it on my G15-A and am quite happy with it since then. They are not all cheap, even one is made in USA, but they simply are not adjustable and it is a feature I absolutely wanted.

Actually, it keeps the system between 13.5 to 14.4. It is not easy to setup as the value changes when in place and you put back the cover; so it is a question of several tries.

Thanks, for the help. I was able to find this one on ebay earlier. I will give it a shot. On yours did you add the regulator in addition to the one you already had and wire it in-line between battery and radio/etc.?

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?m...2F172993240765

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
tcophillips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 08:26 PM   #5
sformal
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcophillips View Post
On yours did you add the regulator in addition to the one you already had and wire it in-line between battery and radio/etc.?
It replaces the VR of the cart, it is not an extra...

Using a step down is another solution, but with the vibrations, etc... I am not sure I would go there on a golf cart!
sformal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2018, 11:34 PM   #6
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Metra makes a part called IBVSTABL. It's basically a regulator that takes 8-40v and gives you a stable 12v output. It's cheap, but only going to support about 2 amps constant, maybe a little more. They do work very very well. Use a fluke and measure current draw on your radio. It will probably be less than 2 amps at normal listening volume though may creep higher if you crank it max volume. If you usually listen at a reasonable volume it would probably work great for you, and less than 15 bucks. But if you crank it may want to look j to something a little more heavy duty, they will catch on fire around 4 amps or so.
CP241 is online now   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha