lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-28-2018, 09:19 AM   #1
essikr
Not Yet Wild

Question G1 startup after years of sitting

My son acquired a 1980 G1 with a campsite purchase. I'm checking it out ,this is what I found so far.
1. empty gas tank cleaned and put to gal of fresh gas
2. empty oil tank ,cleaned and put 20oz of syn 2 cycle oil
3, replaced gas hose to carb
4. replaced oil hose to carb
5. removed carb and cleaned
6. installed new battery
7. removed drive belt
8. cleaned air filter
9. checked compression read 100#
Attempted to start engine, turned over fine but no start. Fuel is going to carb and there is spark at the plug. I sprayed some starting fluid and the engine fired right up. It ran for a few seconds with lots of smoke coming out the exhaust. Tried several more times running it with starting fluid then noticed a lot of oil spraying and leaking behind the clutch shaft.This seems like a lot of oil, questioning the output of the injection system. I see that the seal needs replaced . Engine not starting on the gas??i
essikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-28-2018, 10:48 AM   #2
Gearhead1956
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: G1 startup after years of sitting

I would premix the gas/oil for the first tank and plug the oil line.

I have heard several people here say these old 2 stroke engines will not run with blown crank seals! If that's the oil behind the clutch you are referring to.
Gearhead1956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Its common for the crank seals to go out, they can be replaced not a terrible job there is a sticky post iirc. They will blow oil out, but yes usually it starts hard with bad seals, you lose compression in the crank case which blows the mixture up into the cylinder on the down stroke. It can also suck air into the crank and mess up the mixture. They are a must to run properly.

If you mess with the injection you have to mix the fuel maybe at 100:1 or something for a while as an air bubble will make for no oil. Some do disable it and mix the gas they say it can fail.

I would try to verify where the oil is coming from.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 01:20 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

replace the crank seals. I'm thinking 100psi is a tad low for 1980 model year. It should be 120 unless of course its an 82 then that number is perfect.
Myself id premix it and ditch the oil injection pump. I use rec fuel and synthetic VP oil mixed at 50:1 and It doesn't smoke. I think some smoke after sitting for that long would be normal.

pics of the beast would be cool. Ive got an 84 G1 and wouldn't get rid of it for nothing. What a tank.

heres a link to a service manual.
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/garag...ir-manual.html
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 03:05 PM   #5
essikr
Not Yet Wild

working on changing the crankshaft seal's ,will send update when complete. Thanks for the reply's
essikr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2018, 10:35 PM   #6
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

100 psi is plenty for a g1 to run iv rebuilt plenty of them and have had 100-110 compression do basics suggested above iv had great luck premixing 100:1 also look into doing the muffler bbq
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2018, 09:50 AM   #7
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

ive seen on a couple g1's that the cylinder and crankcase is full of oil and water from sitting outside a long time. try taking the spark plug out and turning the engine over for a bit, see if anything sprays out.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha