lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-09-2018, 08:37 PM   #1
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

Default Yamaha G1 smokes only going uphill

Hello, just picked up my first ever golf cart. It’s a early 1980’s Yamaha G1 in mint condition. Only minor rust on bumpers and battery tray, rest of cart looks new. The car has sat inside for last 10-15 years and only used by a carnival company to move around midway. Carb was really gummed up and fuel tank had a inch of slim in bottom. I soaked the carb for two days and cleaned the tank and all fuel lines and put in new fuel filter. Had trouble getting it going at First till I figured the exhaust valve was stuck. Once freed up the cart runs great but after 15 minutes of riding and only when going up hills it pools smoke out the exhaust only. I opened the engine compartment to confirm it’s was not coming from anywhere else. Is this just old oil burning out of the exhaust or should I worry about the oil pump?
Kbplaza is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-09-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Default Re: Yamaha G1 smokes only going uphill

Oil in exhaust system.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:28 PM   #3
Lochlin
Gone Wild

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-y...-hot-pics.html
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 12:46 PM   #4
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

could the oil injection pump be failing or having issues
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:11 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

That is what they do, you get it hot and it will smoke, it is from short trips. Run it hard keep flooring it a lot and it will smoke for about 10 min and then turn to blue smoke instead of white, that means its near done, little more it will about stop. Then run it around easy to cool off the muffler and engine. It should not smoke after that. They can make a huge cloud of smoke doing this, when I was younger it was a source of great enjoyment/entertainment to fog over half dozen homes next to the GC lol. We usually did that right at dusk so nobody could ID us, but it had to be done sometimes or the carts would not get up the hills on the course. Sometimes I just held it on the floor and hit the brakes when the governor kicked in, so the throttle stayed open a lot and made it hot. Or I clamped the governor on so it ran WOT they would do around 25mph or so.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #6
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

I rode it about 20 minutes tonight and the smoke was crazy. It was pouring out and dogged the neighborhood and woods out. Really don’t want to burn it out in fire as it still has factory paint on the exhaust! Would pouring super clean or purple power degreaser in it flush it out?
Old 06-10-2018, 08:54 PM   #7
Kbplaza
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the help everyone!!!
Old 06-10-2018, 08:55 PM   #8
Spicyunicorn
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Best thing you can do is BBQ the muffler and delete the oil injection and premix 100:1 it's not if but when the oil injection will fail
Spicyunicorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2018, 10:29 PM   #9
mikeasis
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kbplaza View Post
Hello, just picked up my first ever golf cart. It’s a early 1980’s Yamaha G1 in mint condition. Only minor rust on bumpers and battery tray, rest of cart looks new. The car has sat inside for last 10-15 years and only used by a carnival company to move around midway. Carb was really gummed up and fuel tank had a inch of slim in bottom. I soaked the carb for two days and cleaned the tank and all fuel lines and put in new fuel filter. Had trouble getting it going at First till I figured the exhaust valve was stuck. Once freed up the cart runs great but after 15 minutes of riding and only when going up hills it pools smoke out the exhaust only. I opened the engine compartment to confirm it’s was not coming from anywhere else. Is this just old oil burning out of the exhaust or should I worry about the oil pump?
Have you done a compression test? You can Block off the oil injection system temporarily and premix your fuel.
mikeasis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 12:13 PM   #10
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

I'd say enjoy it lol. I've always loved the way 2smoke smells :)

Plus as long as it's smoking, you've got a reasonable assurance that the injection pump is working lol. But i'd agree with blocking it off and running premix
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha