lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-24-2013, 06:52 PM   #21
beachcarter
Gone Wild

Default Re: 98 ezgo spindle question

Got some bad news today from the guy doing my alignment. Theres about 1/4" of play in the passenger side spindle. He didn't get into disassembling anything because when he jacked it up he immediately found the play in the spindle. The hole on the bottom of the axle mount is wollowed out. Think I spelled that right. To describe it better the spindle bolt goes thru the top of the axle thru the spindle and bushing then thru the hole in the bottom of the axle. Its this hole that has wollowed out allowing the spindle to move all around. This explains why when I would do the alignment myself I would take the measurements, adjust as needed then ride the cart then remeasure and it wouldn't measure the same. Looks like I need a new axle. May just bite the bullet and get the jakes long travel kit. I've been debating it for some time but now that I need an axle I may just go ahead and do it. Will see. Guess I'm going to check the site sponsors and see how much a replacement axle is.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2013, 09:24 AM   #22
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I'm sure you could find a used axle but what about welding a washer on the lower part of the axle to center the kingpin ?? Be kind of rigged but should work.
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 09:37 AM   #23
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
I'm sure you could find a used axle but what about welding a washer on the lower part of the axle to center the kingpin ?? Be kind of rigged but should work.
Wouldn't work, the king pin tube goes through the axle so the bolt pinches the U part of the axle down on it, leaving the spindle and thrust washer free on the king pin tube. If you welded a washer on it you would need a longer king pin tube.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:01 AM   #24
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Hmm, I guess I am confused.. I understand the pinching of the king pin in the C but was talking about welding a washer to the outer part of the C that would keep the center king pin bolt from wandering. If it doesn't move the king pin should still be free but can't move side to side. Or is the wear not where I think it is ??
Old 10-25-2013, 10:08 AM   #25
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

The king pin tube wouldn't reach the outer surface of the washer to lock it down.

edit: it would lock down on top the washer but only on the surface of the washer, nothing for side motion.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:16 AM   #26
beachcarter
Gone Wild

The washer goes on top of the spindle correct? The hole that's wollowed out is on the bottom.
beachcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #27
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

I don't remember on that axle but the king pin gets pinched between the C part of the axle correct? If so, it wouldn't have to reach the washer unless the hole is so worn the pin drops in it. The welded washer would just keep the bolt that goes through the pin from moving.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:24 AM   #28
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
The washer goes on top of the spindle correct? The hole that's wollowed out is on the bottom.
He was talking about welding a washer on the bottom over the wollowed out part.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #29
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachcarter View Post
Yes and if I read the post correctly the axle C frame is what is worn, not the spindle itself. The spindle, kingpin and thrust washer all pinch between the C in the axle. I believe what I read stated the hole in the bottom part of the C is worn allowing the bottom of the spindle to sway. I am talking about welding a washer on the outer part of the lower part of the C to keep the bolt centered.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:36 AM   #30
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Yes and if I read the post correctly the axle C frame is what is worn, not the spindle itself. The spindle, kingpin and thrust washer all pinch between the C in the axle. I believe what I read stated the hole in the bottom part of the C is worn allowing the bottom of the spindle to sway. I am talking about welding a washer on the outer part of the lower part of the C to keep the bolt centered.
The king pin tube goes through the C part of the axle and the bolt (not c part) locks against it, leaving the spindle and thrust washer free in the middle.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO