lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-18-2013, 02:12 PM   #1
dbensen
Not Yet Wild

Default Ez-go 875-g?

This is my latest purchase. I believe it's an 875-g from what I can find on the internet, but I'm open to any and all information about it. It is clearly a project. He said it ran great about 10-12 years ago then it was parked in the barn. He said it wouldn't start about three months ago and left it outside. I'll put in some fresh gas and clean the carb but he said there was no spark when he tried. Like I said, it's project.
It needs a ton of parts. Not sure what is obsolete or what might be able to be rebuilt. The brakes are toast. The master cylinder is frozen and I'm sure the rear wheel cylinders are the same. Where can I get parts for this beast? I'm just overwhelmed. Any idea where I can find the VIN plate so I know what year is was built? Just questions so far, I'll share progress as I go. Thanks, Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo2.jpg (211.4 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo3.jpg (213.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo1.jpg (203.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (214.5 KB, 0 views)
dbensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-18-2013, 03:09 PM   #2
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Default Re: Ez-go 875-g?

I have no idea but probably no older than the early 90s with the 2 cylinder... Nice Project!!
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

The ones we have at work all have data tags on the black vertical diamond plate directly below the driver's seat. Yours appears to be missing. Ours are electric from the 90's.
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:22 PM   #4
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Mine is an electric 881. It looks like yours except it is longer. Your ID plate is gone. If you look just below the left side of the drivers seat cushion, you'll see 4 holes (maybe with rivets still in the holes) where it used to be. The brake parts are outrageously priced! I would try to save and rebuild your master cylinder! If you can get the piston assembly out, it may be rebuildable. Also something automotive may work too! I used wheel cylinder kits for a 94 Suzuki Samurai for the rear brakes on mine. The piston cups are the same, but the dust seals are different. They still will fit, but instead of going into a machined groove, they just sit on the inside of the housing. You can get the brake shoes on Ebay (at least I did several months ago) Good luck on your find! I think you are going to enjoy it!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 08:48 AM   #5
dbensen
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the response guys. Bummer on the ID plate. The 90's should help with tracking down parts. Simple man, I saw what you mean about brake parts. Everything is frozen solid. Had to use a forklift to load in the trailer. I get the feeling that EZ-Go didn't manufacture these parts, I just have to find the original supplier. Happened to me on an old Onan generator from 1979. Needed a water pump. Onan wanted $379.00. Turns out they used an pump form an old Studebaker. $43.00. Much better. Good tip on the Samurai cylinder kits. Thanks to all, D
Old 11-19-2013, 09:31 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'm going to say mine is around a 1997. The motor tag is intact and it has 11-11-97 on it. The motor looks like the original one, so I'm guessing the cart dates close to that. I've seen quite a few master cylinders that "look" very similar to the cart. Does yours have front and rear brakes or just rear? Mine is rear only. I would think you could use a dual type cylinder if you either tee the front and rear ports, or plug one of them. I would look at some of the 60's era mid size cars for one. I know there is something out there that will work!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:04 PM   #7
dbensen
Not Yet Wild

White Post Restorations
One Old Car Drive
Post Office Drawer D
White Post, VA 22663
(540) 837-1140

Just got off the phone with these guys and they do a "ton of these." $175.00 for the master and $80.00 each for the rear wheel cylinders. The dismantle, bore out the cylinders and then press in a stainless or brass sleeve and machine to stock. Totally rebuilt and ready to install. Sounds pricey but at least half the cost of new from EZ-GO. Never having to worry about it again is a comfort, especially how infrequently we tend to use these. I have had work done by these guys about 25 years ago when I was restoring old MG's. First class work. First I'll get it running and then I'll make it stop. I think that is the right way to do it. Chicken or the egg.
Old 11-19-2013, 03:22 PM   #8
StoveBolt
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbensen View Post
The dismantle, bore out the cylinders and then press in a stainless or brass sleeve and machine to stock.
I call that a $160 line of Bull Sh!t

At 75 I've rebuilt a lot of wheel cylinders on old cars and never ran across any I couldn't knock out the pistons, clean up with some fine emery cloth and with a new set of rubber diaphragms be ready to go, parts stores used to have them in all sizes cheap. Only thing you have to worry about is breaking off the bleeders, start spraying them now with wd-40 or such. Also I would pull off the wheels and hubs to see what you have before ordering a bunch of parts.

Did you get the shroud for the flywheel? you're going to need that to keep it cool.
StoveBolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2013, 09:11 AM   #9
dbensen
Not Yet Wild

I do have the shroud for the flywheel. They had taken it off to look for the no spark problem. I saw a broken black wire in the connector going to the coil, hoping that should get her running.
I totally agree with the cost of the rebuilds. It's not like it used to be be. Gone are the days when it was easy to get rebuild kits for things. Everyhign is disposable now. Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places. I've been looking for alternatives. Forklift parts are really close but I don't know the bore size yet. There are some on Ebay with a 1 1/4" bore new for $65.00. Except for the cap it looks very close. Even the rear wheel cylinders look similiar, but again, without them off I can't say for sure there a match. Although the PO said it spent many years in a barn, looking at this thing, I have my doubts. It's a bad picture but if gives you an idea of the damage time and neglect can do. A lot of penetrating oil is going to be needed. I don't think anything on this project is going to be easy. Doug
Attached Images
File Type: jpg photo.jpg (170.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 11-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

In the meantime you can use your E - Brake to stop. (if it works) I used mine while I was hunting parts and it will definitely stop the cart!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO