lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-07-2014, 11:00 AM   #11
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

Default Re: spewing gas

That sux bud... I had an 89 and it was temperamental to say the least. The best move I made was getting into a newer cart. Lots less headaches. I will tell you that this forum was my main resource for getting my 89 back into running shape and maintaining it. Good luck.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2014, 10:30 AM   #12
BruceHarless
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

You are sure right about the help received here -- I am very grateful for the responses and help, would never have gotten this sorted out otherwise. The issue of piston/bore sizes and whether to fix or replace has been tedious because when I called to ask the size of a standard piston I was told "looks like 2 and 3.4 inches." Duh.... Thru the forum I learned the actual sizes of the original pistons, but have not been able to find out what is the actual size of the pistons they stock, so that much is still in limbo. I am not ready to risk the S&H and hassle of returns when it is a question of 2-4 thousandths, so want to get some more answers.

I will probably abandon the oil pump and go to mixing the fuel first. Do you (or others) know the proper proportions for that?

Thanx again,
Bruce
'89 2cyc Marathon
BruceHarless is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 10:56 AM   #13
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

It's been so long ago that I dealt with the 2pg... Ruredy would know.
Old 01-08-2014, 05:36 PM   #14
RussellGehrer
Not Yet Wild

If it is a 89' with the 3pg motor in it then fuel mixture is 128:1 I'm not sure if its a 2pg might be the same.
RussellGehrer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2014, 05:43 PM   #15
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

I meant 3pg and I think that ratio is correct.
Old 01-08-2014, 08:31 PM   #16
ATOMIC_BADBOY
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

2pg is the same
ATOMIC_BADBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2014, 09:57 PM   #17
andrew520
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceHarless View Post
Took the engine apart - piston and rings are gone, appears I let it run dry of oil, it overheated and chewed up the top pf the cylinder and piston. I am trying to decide on repair or replacement, and am stuck with needing to know the original bore of that 1989 2 cyc engine . So far, the closest I have been given is "it looks like 2-3/4"."

This jug is 2.840" ID; the old piston is 2.820" -- is this a standard (i.e., original) size, or is it what they call 25mm or 50mm oversize"
I want to chime in on this even though the post is about a month old. I did a top end rebuild (new jug and piston) on my 2pg. On the piston I received I wasn't happy with the amount of freeplay the rings had after being installed onto the piston. I felt they were a little too snug. I put it together anyways. It ran great for about 10 minutes then quit. compression was down to about 20psi. Tore it down and the piston/rings were shot. I know it was lubed because I mixed the gas myself to 40:1 and coating everything well during assembly. The jug was still okay so I found a new .025 piston on ebay for 15 bucks. the rings felt much better on this one. took the jug and piston to a machine shop, paid $50 to have it bored. It is now running good other than the carb issues I am having. It's not spewing out of the overflow but filling up the air intake boot when it sits. I've had this problem before the rebuild so I know it's not related.

I chalked it up to poor quality control on the manufactures' that builds the top end kits for these. Overall after the $200 for the top end kit I ended up spending another $75 but I think I'm in the clear now. Granted mine is an '85 2pg with the original crank seals and I have 110PSI compression after running about an hour on the new piston.
andrew520 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO