lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-19-2014, 05:50 PM   #21
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: 1988 Marathon 2 cycle issues

That's what I was hoping to hear, thanks!

In other news, I got the wiring MESS that used to be the headlight wiring fixed and ran in a respectable fashion, and the headlights function now!! I also put on some small taillights at my friend's request, turned out pretty good - will have to get some pics up for you all later.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2014, 11:21 AM   #22
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The new belt and driven clutch work wonderfully in conjunction with the stock drive clutch, the cart is up and running and at full speed I'd guesstimate it at 16-17 MPH.

I have an issue still with the motor RPMs picking up though. When starting from a complete stop, the cart just wants to idle for a long time before VEEEEEERY slowly picking up RPM then finally going. Does it in both forward and reverse, and the choke helps a little. I tried messing with the idle screw on the carb and nothing helped with it. I see air bubbles all the time in the line between the fuel pump and carburetor, should I? The pump is new but could it be suspect???
Old 04-21-2014, 11:54 AM   #23
ScooterMcTavish
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have an older cart with the 3pg (very similar), and it has the same "up to speed" issue. When the cart is warm, no issues, but it takes a few seconds for the fuel pressure to build, pump it down the line, then fire. When it fires, the RPMs go up, which increases the fuel flow, which then gets the clutch spinning fast enough to engage.

So from my end, no issues - this is normal behaviour for a two stroke engine that uses a RPM-based vacuum driven pump to feed fuel. Much different than the newer carts that always seem to have fuel and RPMs at the ready.

However, bubbles are a bit odd - never seen them in my lines. I'd check for cracks in any of the fuel feed lines from the tank to the carb. If air is getting introduced at any point, the pump will move bubbles as well as fuel.

I'd almost guess there is a crack in the feed line in the tank(think of a crack in a drinking straw) introducing some air. This could also be contributing to the lag in building fuel pressure (assuming it's not a normal lag as I described above).
ScooterMcTavish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 06:30 PM   #24
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

The lag definitely isn't normal, its excruciatingly long. I checked for leaks in the pickup tube by covering one end with my thumb and blowing in the other, it tested solid. I also checked to see if the vent in the cap was blocked causing the pump to not be able to overcome the vacuum in the tank, but that test turned up good also. I'm about to go pick up some new 1/4 hose and replace all the fuel line on it so I know that I don't have leaks, and if that doesn't work logic leads me to think fuel pump, even though its new.

One thing I noticed: when I park it the fuel filter is near empty, and when I come back some time later it is full. Odd...
Old 04-21-2014, 10:02 PM   #25
Morgan44
Gone Wild

Is the lag your talking about with the pedal to the floor?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2014, 10:09 PM   #26
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan44 View Post
Is the lag your talking about with the pedal to the floor?
Yes, but it does it with the pedal barely depressed, halfway depressed, or all the way, and all points in between. I've tried everything to get it to take off, but it won't do it. I thought first maybe it was flooding, but that isn't the case because it you choke it while it's lagging it'll begin to take off.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:27 PM   #27
Morgan44
Gone Wild

First thought is an air leak of some kind. Somewhere between the carb and the case maybe. Are all the gaskets new?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2014, 07:29 AM   #28
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morgan44 View Post
First thought is an air leak of some kind. Somewhere between the carb and the case maybe. Are all the gaskets new?
Yep, new gasket between the carb and intake, and new reed gaskets. No leaks on the crankcase seals because i tried the carb cleaner while running trick and got no RPM change. Compression is at 120#. I have all new fuel line for it that I'll put on today, just in case thats where the air is coming from, but I'm at the point now of opening up the pump to see if all is well inside. Don't know what else could be causing the problem.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:59 AM   #29
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

IMG_20140422_105557_439.jpg

This spacer is between the fuel pump and block, and on the underside is an old gasket that probably leaks, so I'm betting that's my problem. What is this spacer's purpose? If I install the pump where the o ring will seal against the block, will I do some sort of harm?

Never mind, I see the spacer has to be used so the bolts will work because of their length. Off to find a little gasket paper. I'd use permatex but I'm afraid it'll squish out and block the hole.
Old 04-22-2014, 09:29 PM   #30
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Okay, no longer getting air in the line like before. STILL getting the half running/idling forever issue before choking it makes it take off, even after I set the float up a little higher this evening, which made no difference. WHAT ON EARTH could possibly be wrong with this thing that I haven't checked?!?

In my mind I've ruled out the fuel pump because the one that is on there now was put on by my friend to cure the problem that I'm having with it now. Needless to say it didn't help. Also, once the cart gets running it runs REALLY well, if I could just get it to start correctly I could give it back to my friend to use and get it out of my building.

If ANYONE has an idea or some experience with this problem on these carts, PLEEEEASE let me know what you did to fix it, I'd appreciate it more than you could imagine! I'm at the end of my rope with this little Japanese 2 stroke!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO