lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #11
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

Default Re: does this belt/clutch operation look right? (video)

I agree with mcdave, looks like something is keeping the drive clutch from closing like it should. With the belt off, see if it closes any further when the engine is running, and also check to see if it will push in by hand all the way (with the engine not running!) I bet it needs a good taking apart and cleaning so that the sheaves will come together all the way smoothly.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-22-2014, 09:08 PM   #12
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

New belt went on today with little improvement.

The problem seems to be that I can't get the rpms up high enough to get the clutch doing its thing. At one point tonight I got the cart running about as fast as I would expect it to run. The clutch was indeed closed up at that point (seat was off) and the belt was near the top of the sheeves.

When trying to take off I have to hold the choke closed just to get the cart moving. If I slow down for a turn, it struggles to get running good enough to get the clutches working again. At this point I think my problem is fuel related.

Pulled the fuel pump apart tonight and cleaned some crud out of the bottom chamber. I managed to snarf up the gasket a little so naturally it wouldn't start when I put it back together.

Took an electric fuel pump I had laying around and threw it on to see if the cart would run. The cart did run but was still hard to start and was difficult to get the rpms up on.

I need to pull the carb and clean it but the way my luck has been going , I'm worried it may end up running worse, or not at all. I still need to get rid of the gas that the previous owner says is mixed at 40:1.

I envy you guys that have the knowledge to tear into these things. I'm flying blind and worried I'm gonna screw something up.

The beat goes on.
Lumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
rib33024

If you haven't cleaned that carb after all that oil was in the gas, it needs to be taken all apart and cleaned real good, have you done a compression test? probably needs crank seals changed, pipe and muffler is probably clogged and needs cleaned,
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2014, 09:56 PM   #14
Morgan44
Gone Wild

I'm with rib. Time for a carb tear down and clean. It may surprise you. Don't sweat it, it's not very complicated. Remove the jets and spray with brake cleaner or carb cleaner, maybe even a torch tip cleaner. Try that first and then like he said do a compression check. Then you will know where you stand.
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:08 AM   #15
Airbagged
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Have you compression tested the engine?
Could be it's just tired and ready for a rebuild. I had a Robbins engine with 18 in one cylinder and 20in the other and it didn't smoke, but it had little to no power!
Airbagged is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 09:32 AM   #16
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I dont have a compression tester so I am ruling out what I can while I try to locate a compression tester.

Once you get the rpms up on this cart it seems to run strong....its just trying to get it going that is a problem. I really want to use this thing in a couple weeks but I have a feeling Im going be out of luck. Time and money is just going to be to short for me to attempt a rebuild before then.

Next step for me will be a carb disassemble & clean.

Thanks guys.
Old 07-23-2014, 07:50 PM   #17
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

OK.....so I changed out the gas today with some correctly mixed gas. Then I pulled the carb apart as far as I dared and cleaned it as best I could. I was shocked that there didnt appear to be any crud or build up anywhere. Lots of carb cleaner and air pressure. Running has improved but is a long way from optimal.

I discovered that my accelerator cable looks to be junk. It is not opening up the throttle like it should. Instead of pushing straight towards the throttle on the carb, it is bending in the middle due to a kink. Throttle is only opening half way most of the time. Item number 86 on the list.

The bigger problem I found was that my carb is spewing gas out of some type of fitting I am guessing is an overflow. Could y'all take a look at these pics and offer me your thoughts? Pictures were taken from the drivers side of the cart, looking towards the passenger side......

Old 07-23-2014, 08:42 PM   #18
cart around
Test before replacing

E-Z-GO

This is a picture of my 87 carburetor. That is an overflow tube. Now we have to figure out why it is overflowing.

You will also notice that your throttle cable mounts differently. Your cable should slide through the throttle lever. The carburetor should have a spring that snaps it open. Without the cable connected it should be wide open. The stock carb is a BV-18.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg open throttle.jpg (263.3 KB, 0 views)
cart around is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2014, 08:45 PM   #19
Morgan44
Gone Wild

How far did you disassemble? Did you remove the jets?
Morgan44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2014, 08:47 AM   #20
Lumpy
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I removed the bowl, float, and needle. I also removed a long tube that extends up into the throat of the carb. Not knowing what I was doing I stopped at this point.

I found nothing that I would think of as a seat. Does the needle just fit a machined area or should there have been a seperate piece that acts as a seat? Would a missing seat cause the overflow to spew gas? Keep in mind that I am temporarily running an electric fuel pump.

Cart around.....thank you for the picture. Looks like my carb lever is installed backwards.

Please keep the ideas coming.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO