lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles



Post New Thread  Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
weekendwarriorfsw32
Getting Wild
 
weekendwarriorfsw32's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Default Stutters at speed

Hello every one,
My G2 golf cart stutters at about 1/2 throttle and beyond unless the Choke is on. I though I had a clogged air filter but I got a new one and it didn't fix it
any help would be great,
Thanks
Nick
weekendwarriorfsw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

__________________
This advertising will not be shown in this way to registered members.
Register your free account today and become a member on Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum
   
Old 03-16-2008, 10:24 AM   #2
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............
 
smallblock450sl's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma Washington
Posts: 11,823
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32 View Post
Hello every one,
My G2 golf cart stutters at about 1/2 throttle and beyond unless the Choke is on. I though I had a clogged air filter but I got a new one and it didn't fix it
any help would be great,
Thanks
Nick
Stutters or RPM changes ? I would first take off the air filter hose (at the carb) and fold it out of the way. Then run the car. Any better ? If so your air box isn't sealed. If no diffeance, take the screws and cap off the primary clutch and see if one of the weghts came apart. There other things that could cause your problem, but I'd try these things first. Good luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:17 AM   #3
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild
 
mikesmotortoys's Avatar
E-Z-GO
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Rockwall, Texas (Dallas / Ft. Worth)
Posts: 7,077
Default Re: Stutters at speed

How long you had the cart? Has it been sitting? Old fuel? Ever had the carburetor cleaned? Great points to look at from smallblock - but your problem description is too vauge...

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:12 PM   #4
weekendwarriorfsw32
Getting Wild
 
weekendwarriorfsw32's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Stutters or RPM changes ? I would first take off the air filter hose (at the carb) and fold it out of the way. Then run the car. Any better ? If so your air box isn't sealed. If no diffeance, take the screws and cap off the primary clutch and see if one of the weghts came apart. There other things that could cause your problem, but I'd try these things first. Good luck Dave
Yes I runs great with out the air hose on. What do you mean by my air box is not sealed?
weekendwarriorfsw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:24 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............
 
smallblock450sl's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma Washington
Posts: 11,823
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by weekendwarriorfsw32 View Post
Yes I runs great with out the air hose on. What do you mean by my air box is not sealed?
Great news. The airbox lid is held on with 4 rubber starps. They must be in good shape and pliable enough to "pull" the lid down tight ! The lid has a "seal" were it "contacts" the air cleaner bottom case. This is a critical seal. I replace them all the time ! Also I have forund "aftermarket" air filters are alittle "taller" than originals and can stop the sealing process. I have seen people put screws and pop rivets to hold on the straps, or duct tape to enclose the box! I would suggest buying the parts you need to proberly seal the air box (Yamaha will sell you any individual peice you need, you dont have to buy the whole assy) or you gould upgrade using a K & N filter and a carb main jet to match. Good Luck Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 12:28 PM   #6
weekendwarriorfsw32
Getting Wild
 
weekendwarriorfsw32's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Thanks great
weekendwarriorfsw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 05:15 PM   #7
weekendwarriorfsw32
Getting Wild
 
weekendwarriorfsw32's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 102
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Thanks guys it worked
weekendwarriorfsw32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:56 AM   #8
OregonMike
Gone Wild
 
OregonMike's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Anywhere Near Roseburg, Oregon, where I can find some twisties!
Posts: 306
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Stutters or RPM changes ? I would first take off the air filter hose (at the carb) and fold it out of the way. Then run the car. Any better ? If so your air box isn't sealed. If no diffeance, take the screws and cap off the primary clutch and see if one of the weghts came apart. There other things that could cause your problem, but I'd try these things first. Good luck Dave
OK... New to this buggie stuff, and NOT a mechanic... so this confuses me a little, so I am just looking to gain some brains...LOL. If a leaking airbox couses it to run bad, why would having the carb completly open make it run better????

It just seems like with a leaky airbox, it would get too much air... and run worse, so with the tube taken off, it would get tons of air and run worse yet.... So what am I missing...

Please educate me.... I just got my cart, so I am trying to soak up everything I can. I did get my 6" lift on, and I welded up a tube bumper with off road lights, and a cool roof rack... should get them on today and will post a pic....

OK, and thanks again for passing on the info!!!

Mike from Oregon....

PS... I got another guy to get a cart too.....LOL.... this is how it starts....
OregonMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 09:20 PM   #9
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............
 
smallblock450sl's Avatar
Yamaha
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Tacoma Washington
Posts: 11,823
Default Re: Stutters at speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonMike View Post
OK... New to this buggie stuff, and NOT a mechanic... so this confuses me a little, so I am just looking to gain some brains...LOL. If a leaking airbox couses it to run bad, why would having the carb completly open make it run better????

It just seems like with a leaky airbox, it would get too much air... and run worse, so with the tube taken off, it would get tons of air and run worse yet.... So what am I missing...

Please educate me.... I just got my cart, so I am trying to soak up everything I can. I did get my 6" lift on, and I welded up a tube bumper with off road lights, and a cool roof rack... should get them on today and will post a pic....

OK, and thanks again for passing on the info!!!

Mike from Oregon....

PS... I got another guy to get a cart too.....LOL.... this is how it starts....
Mike... First, this is a "test I've used for over 20 years on the Yamaha airbox set up. I'm not a Japanese enginer. You and many others have asked the same question. The only awnser I can give is.... The G2/G9/G8 and even the G14 have the same aparent problem without air box sealing. NO POWER. Must have something to due with the intake mixture of baffling/air intake and jetting. You are right in suggesting with no air filter attatched it should run the same. This is a test. And many times it proves out to be the problem. Sorry...I'm no "EINSTIEN", I just know it works. Sorry I was not more help. Later Dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha


Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Forum
Speed me along, or keep me from stupidity. Design Center
low speed Electric golf carts
More Speed Electric Club Car
speed Gas EZGO
speed ? Electric EZGO


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:56 PM.


Club Car Electric | EZGO Electric | Lifted Golf Carts | Gas EZGO | Used Golf Carts and Parts

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.9
Copyright ©2000 - 2023, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
This Website and forum is the property of Buggiesgonewild.com. No material may be taken or duplicated in part or full without prior written consent of the owners of buggiesgonewild.com. 2006-2017 Buggiesgonewild.com. All rights reserved.