lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!
Extreme DC! Extreme Electric Golf Carts!

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-28-2023, 07:08 PM   #1
thesarasotajade
Not Yet Wild

Default Moke Batterie's Lithium - Post any lithium experience here

Swapped out 10 AGM to, 5 12v 125ah Lithium. much lighter
Moke increased speed reached almost 50mph and spinning tires. Reduced back to 37mph.
Previously speed was at 37mph with 10 AGM

Issues running into -

1. Battery cables getting hot and terminals connections as well.
Cables seem in good condition no erosion or damages, all connections tight.

Going to also try a larger gauge in the battery cables I think it comes with 2 gauge going to try 0/1 gauge, not sure if this is the issue or not.

2. Battery level indicator not accurate anymore. Wondering if a setting in controller can fix this. if the actual voltage might be a little different with the lithium full charge at 66.4volts and causing the issue. looking into that or if anyone knows why would be great or if something I can do to fix the accuracy as close as possible with dashboard gauge.

Or Anyone have any links on nice aftermarket 60v lithium battery gauges that will connect to positive and negative post not using a special connector or Amazon special. Used Amazon special and still off and hard to read during the day.

3. On first charge drove around 25miles then had a complete shut down no power on dashboard or moke moving at 25miles. Did not go into limp mode and seemed to have battery left.

After charged batteries and small 12v 20ah worked normal again

Wondering if was small accessory/starting/headlight battery 12v 20ah that sits next to windshield wiper fluid, testing battery seemed a little low ordered new lithium 30ah just encase, still waiting on it. not sure if it is the issue and cause of shut down (I know if that battery is dead or you unplug that battery moke will not start and have similar results), Was strange never had it completely shut down before like that.. Any ideas ? On second charge to try to see if same-thing happens again at 25miles drive time

I have an eagle performance 60v charger wondering if anyone knows the best algorithm to use for 5 12v 125ah lithium batteries, these do not have a specific brand name (no judgment, for testing purpose). To prevent over charging, I did have beep warning on first charge. (Not sure if because the lithium have a higher full charge voltage 66.4v than the AGM or other issue)
I’ve heard others using the silver charger it comes with with no issues thinking to switch back to old silver charger. Going to try to contact eagle performance customer service as well.

2 12v installed in both sides and one under the hood = 5 12v .
ENPOWER controller
Eagle Performance charger 60v/13amp
Mileage tbd
Moke speed 37mph (5900)

Torque seems a little high now as well working on fine tuning that.

Please post any experience with your lithium or ideas or advice.

And would be great if anyone had any ideas on any issues I’m having.
Hope this helps others as well.

Thanks
thesarasotajade is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-28-2023, 08:52 PM   #2
thesarasotajade
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Moke Batterie's Lithium - Post any lithium experience here

If Anyone is getting 50 miles on a single charge driving over 30mph please let me know, message and/or post your setup would greatly appreciated.
Old 05-28-2023, 10:27 PM   #3
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Series connected 12v lithium batteries are never a good idea but now that you have them…….

66.4v is too low to charge 5 12v lithium batteries in series, it’s only 3.32v per cell. You need around 71v to charge correctly. That will charge to the ideal 3.55v per cell.

Your current gauge won’t work with lithium. Get yourself a Renogy 500A shunt battery monitor.

You MUST use a lithium charger, don’t use your lead acid/AGM charger to charge lithium. You’ll also need a 12v (14.2v) lithium charger to periodically fully charge each battery individually to keep them in balance. You will have balance problems with 5 batteries in series. Alternatively, Noco make a 4 port 12v lithium charger that can be permanently connected that will charge each battery individually. Unfortunately it’s only 4 port and you’ll need that plus a second charger to charge the remaining battery.
Pat911 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 03:21 PM   #4
thesarasotajade
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Series connected 12v lithium batteries are never a good idea but now that you have them…….

66.4v is too low to charge 5 12v lithium batteries in series, it’s only 3.32v per cell. You need around 71v to charge correctly. That will charge to the ideal 3.55v per cell.

Your current gauge won’t work with lithium. Get yourself a Renogy 500A shunt battery monitor.

You MUST use a lithium charger, don’t use your lead acid/AGM charger to charge lithium. You’ll also need a 12v (14.2v) lithium charger to periodically fully charge each battery individually to keep them in balance. You will have balance problems with 5 batteries in series. Alternatively, Noco make a 4 port 12v lithium charger that can be permanently connected that will charge each battery individually. Unfortunately it’s only 4 port and you’ll need that plus a second charger to charge the remaining battery.
Thanks for the info the eagle performance charger does have lithium options, I have not gotten a response from the support to figure out which algorithm to use?

Brand name - none: No Brand name
LiFeP04
12c 125AH X 5 for 60v system Moke

On last full charge total volts was 66.4v

Algorithm options

Constant® Power Lithium
Discover AES
Discover DLB
inVENTUS M-24V90-TRX 24 Volt
inVENTUS S-48V60-TRX 48 Volt
RELiON Insight Series
RoyPow 48V
SwissLog22
Troian GC2 LiON

Is this the gauge you’re speaking about. https://a.co/d/772reDS
Renogy 500A Battery Monitor with Shunt, High and Low Voltage Programmable Alarm, Voltage Range 10V-120V and up to 500A, 20ft Shielded Cable, Compatible with 12V Lithium Sealed, Gel, Flooded Batteries
Old 05-29-2023, 04:55 PM   #5
Moke
Not Yet Wild

Are you talking about the (optional) upgraded charger available from Moke (attached photo)?

If so, mine is not compatible with lithium and I'd be a bit cheesed off at those people if yours is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Screenshot_20230529-175205.jpg (230.6 KB, 0 views)
Moke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2023, 05:00 PM   #6
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Yes, that’s the correct meter.

66.4v is the settle voltage that the batteries will drop to reasonably quickly after the charger switches off. It’s not the charge voltage. You must use a higher voltage to obtain a full charge.

Is this your first experience with lithium batteries? I ask this respectfully so that I know how much detail to go into in any future responses.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:04 PM   #7
thesarasotajade
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moke View Post
Are you talking about the (optional) upgraded charger available from Moke (attached photo)?

If so, mine is not compatible with lithium and I'd be a bit cheesed off at those people if yours is.
In the app when you go to change the algorithms go to “other” it does have options for lithium but most of them say 48v some do not say what voltage. I tried to get with customer service and they did not want to answer the question whether it could or not due to have batteries in series, which was odd.
Old 06-01-2023, 07:19 PM   #8
thesarasotajade
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat911 View Post
Yes, that’s the correct meter.

66.4v is the settle voltage that the batteries will drop to reasonably quickly after the charger switches off. It’s not the charge voltage. You must use a higher voltage to obtain a full charge.

Is this your first experience with lithium batteries? I ask this respectfully so that I know how much detail to go into in any future responses.
I have lithium in 5 other golf carts not Mokes, and those lithium are one or two big batteries that equal 48v. This is my first experience with 60v lithium and with the Moke. I’m wanting to get closer to 40-50miles constantly and was told lithium could possibly do this for the moke.

Issue with moke is no stock lithium will fit, without custom made from china which is going to be the next route if this is a fail. The only thing I have found is the 5 12v, that fit with no major modifications. I don’t mind some modifications if that was the case. I heard someone was putting older Tesla 60v batteries in but I haven’t looked into that and they are most likely not willing to share the plans of what they did to make it work.

So I have replaced half of the cables and inspected the rest going to the motor seem perfect, there was a couple that seemed a little deformation near the ends due to heat and replaced those.

I have also reduced the amount of amps drawn to be no more 150amp when peddle to metal and driving it like you don’t care, this just makes it a little longer to get up to full speed. This helped a little bit but some wires even new replaced are still getting warm to too hot.

Cable in controller + & b+ from red button Hot, are the hottest and last battery negative is just as hot, cables to motor seem fine a little warm somewhat. - & b- are warm.On Red button are warm to hot.

Next is dropping batteries for the 5 time and changing the rest of the cables - I thought they had 4g but all cables are 2g and just replacing to new 2g
Old 06-01-2023, 07:25 PM   #9
thesarasotajade
Not Yet Wild

Next going to try to reduce the amps to not go passed 125amps hopefully not a turtle. Unless anyone have better ideas out there. Prior to reducing amps it was at its hottest, touching terminals less than a second before pulling away now 4-5 seconds on Hot wires
Old 06-01-2023, 07:51 PM   #10
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

Definitely replace the cables and see how you go. The problem with cheaper batteries is that the cables they use internally may be too small and it are those cables that are heating up and passing that heat through the terminal to your other cables. Larger cables will help draw that heat away.

I don’t know of any commercially made 60v lithium batteries but you don’t have to get one made in China, you can build one yourself by simply sourcing 20 appropriate LiFePO4 cells and an appropriate BMS.

Tags
agm, batteries, lithium, moke, more speed.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Modified Golf Carts > Extreme DC!