lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-10-2007, 02:50 PM   #1
eng208
Not Yet Wild

Default New guy, new to me cart

Hello, just joined and just bought my first cart. It is a 2001 EZ GO Workhorse 1200 LX. I bought it from a fellow that has a rental service to big agencies. He services all of the carts himself, then when they come off rental, he sells them. I will try to post pictures in the next few days.
This one seems to have been well serviced and not abused at all. It does have high hours, 1200 to be exact. Everything looks really good on it. No "jury rigs" that I have found. I pulled it in my shop last night and really looked it over. I did find a few corroded wires, one of which was the solenoid starting wire. I fixed it before it became a problem. The other is the reason my horn will not work. Did not have time to fix it, just needs to be trimmed back with a new connector on it. The cart has no mud, or any other evidence of hard use. It is not even scratched up underneath. I like the fact that it is so easy to access everything with the dump bed up and the seat removed or folded forward. Makes working on it a breeze.
I plan on wearing these tires out eventually and then maybe putting a lift on it with bigger tires. It has a new windshield, and new wheels all the way around. The front body clip also looks relatively new. It also has a trailer hitch on the back, standard reese type. I have turned the governor rod a few turns, about 3 complete turns on the nut to shorten the rod spring. I hope this will not cause undo wear. The motor just seemed like it was turning very low RPM, so I helped it out a little and turned it up some.

Picked up a little speed and feels like got a little more get up and go. Maybe just me. It has impressed me with the climbing ability. Goes right up the ditches around here. I bought it just to ride around the farm and to go to the neighbors houses, and up and down the dirt roads around here, we don't get much traffic at all and what we do get, we know them.
Does it hurt these carts to ride several miles at WOT? Also, when going down the road, I get a little wallop side to side like the wheels are out of round, is this common? I know it is not a corvette, just wondering. Also, what kind of life can I expect from this cart? I am very mechanically inclined as I got my first motorcycle at 8 and learned pretty quick to work on them.Now, with this forum, I can do all of my maintenance and repairs.
Thanks,
Chris
eng208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-10-2007, 03:53 PM   #2
mb523
Peanut

E-Z-GO

Default Re: New guy, new to me cart

First off, welcome to BGW Chris!

Congrats on your first cart and joining this wonderful carting community!

To try to answer some of your questions...

1. It should be OK at WOT as long as the gov. isn't turned up too too much. Excess wear will occur at higher RPM's sustained for a longer period of time.

2. Golf car tires are not made perfect and occasionally have a little bump only felt at high speeds.

3. These carts should last for a long time, if properly maintained. If the oil is changed, filter serviced/changed, and it isn't beat on, it will have a very long life. For the most part, they are also fairly easy to fix if they do break down,and with the know-how of the guys here, anything can be done!

Hope this helped ya a little! Looking forward to seeing pics of your new ride!

Hope you enjoy your stay here!
mb523 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 03:55 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

Hi chris and welcome to the forum. Its never hurt my workhorses to run them wide open. As for your side "wallop" golf cart tires tend to be pretty good as far as roundness and balance, if it has lawn mower tires on it that could be the problem. If not check the rims to see if ones bent. How long will it last..... Sh*t if I could predict the future, I wouldn't be setting here typing But if you keep it well maintained it should last for many years to come
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:04 PM   #4
NO NO NO E-Z-GO!
Gone Wild

I can personally vouch for tires being out-of-round. I had a brand new set of Fairway Pro tires put on my cart when it was not lifted, and when going at top speed, it would shudder very noticeably. I can't emphasize enough how important quality tires are! I know that the Duros I have no don't do the greatest in some terrain and environments, but they are perfectly round and they have excellent wear life. Plus, they're smooth and quiet on the asphalt.
NO NO NO E-Z-GO! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 06:09 PM   #5
eng208
Not Yet Wild

I did jack it up on stands and run it, the tires do have a little wallop to them. I didn't notice it was so much the rims, mainly the tires.
Thanks for the big HELLO! I look forward to spending some time here. The fronts were out of round too.
Chris
eng208 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO