lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2009, 05:50 AM   #1
aussieruss
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G16 idles but thats it

Gidday all, hope you had a good xmas.

I bought my kids a 1997 g16a for xmas. At the inspection before i bought it all was good. took it for a run. no problems.
Gave it too them on xmas morning, they hoped in it and drove it for about 1/2 hour then it died. All we could get it to do is idle. put the foot on the pedal further, no difference, just idle. Choke on, no difference.
Put a new spark plug in it, new fuel (gas) filter on it. off they went again. ran good for about another hour then done the same thing.
Swapped out the fuel pump with one off a working yammi scooter. no difference, put old one back on. checked vaccuum line. working.
Took carbi off, checked gaskets, gave it a blow out, cleaned it put it back on and it went again for about 1 1/2 hours, then died back to idle.
This has got me stumped as what to do next. any suggestions would help.
aussieruss is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2009, 10:12 AM   #2
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

Default Re: G16 idles but thats it

When you say "idle", is it just the starter/ generator turning the motor over, or is the motor actually running? The way you describe the situation it sounds like you are losing spark when it gets a little hot with run time. Let it cool down and it goes again for a while. I would check for spark when it's warm and not "running"..... BTW, Welcome to BGW!!
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 10:38 AM   #3
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I'm with flint check for spark after it quits. Sounds like coil going out after cart gets hot.
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 04:37 PM   #4
aussieruss
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
When you say "idle", is it just the starter/ generator turning the motor over, or is the motor actually running?!
all new to these things.
How would i tell the difference? To me it sounds the same as if my car was idling. the motor is puttering along as if its running. but as you'v put it, it maybe just the starter making the engine turn.....oh im confused now.

what i can tell you though, is i have pulled the plug out after it has stopped, plugged it into the lead and rested the end onto the top of the motor and turned it over. it had tiny blue sparks coming out of it. put it back in and still not kicking.

ahhh, flint. i think i answered my own question, and yours. i think its just turning the motor over, not idling, cause when i have the plug is out it is the same sound, (what i thought before was idling).
Old 12-27-2009, 02:03 PM   #5
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussieruss View Post
all new to these things.
How would i tell the difference? To me it sounds the same as if my car was idling. the motor is puttering along as if its running. but as you'v put it, it maybe just the starter making the engine turn.....oh im confused now.

what i can tell you though, is i have pulled the plug out after it has stopped, plugged it into the lead and rested the end onto the top of the motor and turned it over. it had tiny blue sparks coming out of it. put it back in and still not kicking.

ahhh, flint. i think i answered my own question, and yours. i think its just turning the motor over, not idling, cause when i have the plug is out it is the same sound, (what i thought before was idling).
These do not idle it is just the starter turning the motor over.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2010, 11:17 PM   #6
aussieruss
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

replaced the coil, all good now. thanks for the heads up
Old 01-10-2010, 11:20 PM   #7
mikesmotortoys
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Factory EZGO - Bad Boy Buggy - Dixie Chopper Mowers
mikesmotortoys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:59 AM   #8
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Golf carts don't idle.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 AM   #9
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Welcome to BGW!!, Glad you got it worked out aussieruss, Post up some pics of the kids having fun down under.
Yamahas are a very dependable cart and should give years of fun.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha