lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-21-2008, 06:15 AM   #11
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Melex 36 Volt Cart only goes at slow speed

Controllers are not serviceable....So hopefully you have a bad pot. Controllers come in a variety of sizes ranging from 275amp to 750amp. $300 to rediculously expensive.
If you don't shop ebay try one of our sponsers, they make this forum possible.
They are voltage sensative, 36v or 48v also, so "hopefully you have a bad pot"
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-21-2008, 12:52 PM   #12
gearhead_hotrod
Not Yet Wild

sounds to me that your solenoid is dropping out try changing it out
gearhead_hotrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 07:09 PM   #13
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by scatterbolts View Post
I have been doing some more checking. Not sure how to get a reading on the Pot Box you talk about but I will keep looking. It looks and feels like it cuts out as you accelerate. It goes fine on the low speed (seems like it has low and high) also no problems on flat pavement. If I hold the cart back I can get it to not engauge at all when you press all the way down. Another question. Is the Controller box servicable? I have everything to check and service electronics at my shop but I don't want to pull the box if it is a block or something. Last but not least where is a good place to buy a replacement and how much do they run, thanks again.
Sorry I wasn't more specific on the test. There will be 2 wires that come form the "pot box" to the controller. They are "slide on" "spade" wire ends. There will actually be 3 wires at the controller, but the "black" (I beleive) is ground. Take the 2 wires off, put your probes (from volt meter ) in them and (set for ohms) push on the accelrator pedal and check the readings. Once again sorry, My brain knows what to do but, my fingers "forget" to type it. I guess that's what happens when you turn "50" in a couple of days. Good luck, cross your fingers thats the problem. Later dave
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 02:13 AM   #14
phasetim
Just me. .

Club Car

Have you tested the batteries under a load, or just idle? Your symptoms really scream low voltage. This may be from batteries.. other possibilities are loose wires, weak solenoid, bad controller, and possibly worn brushes in your motor.
phasetim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
bmsgolf
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Any luck on this problem yet. I have a Melex 412 that has the exact same issue!
bmsgolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2013, 01:25 PM   #16
1dodgee
Not Yet Wild

Hi I have the same problem with my 36 vote Melex What did you do to fix it? Thanks
1dodgee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2013, 08:02 PM   #17
hemi500
Not Yet Wild

There are many issues that can cause low speed. A bad battery, weak connection, or worn out pot box are some of the first checks. I ran into my first Melex today and figured I would share for my first post ever.

My diagnosis......burned down commutator on the motor. Over time the gaps between the comutator get filled with bits of carbon, copper, and trash.

The cart I was working on today would move very slowly. Put the wheels up and it would move just fine. Everything else checked out....all batteries good, all cables good, pot box fine..... I pulled the access band from the motor to find the picture below.

Take a pick and scrape out all the trash between the gaps in the comutator and see how she does.

I was excited to see that my sweat today might be able to help someone.

-Cheers

hemi500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric golf carts > Melex