lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2014, 08:17 PM   #1
crowley
Not Yet Wild

Question 81 DS CC - Fried F/R Switch?

My CC(Serial is A8132 XXXXX) has more torque/power in reverse than forward. It will spin the tires on dry unfinished concrete in reverse, but forward seems anemic in comparison.

I read several posts here that said the 18/36v leads may have been reversed. I reversed the white and black legs on the F/R switch and nothing. Tried both directions. I returned it to the previous places. NOTHING in either direction. Solenoids are not clicking at all. Did I fry something or have a loose connection somewhere?

I checked the two wires on the F/R microswitch, F/R white, F/R black and the buzzer. These were the only ones I touched.

The F/R switch on the 81-83 DS diagram does not look anything like mine. I am confused as to why mine is different.

I have three red wires on the passenger side of the F/R switch. Two of them are going to Battery #1 and one goes to the bottom-driver's side of the motor terminal. Two wires, one white and one black are on the moving portion of the F/R switch. White is on driver's side and goes to the resistor coil, solenoid #5. Black is passenger's side of the F/R switch and goes to the bottom-passenger's side of the motor terminal. The top two terminals on the motor have white coming from the master solenoid to the passenger's side motor terminal. The other is black to the battery pack negative. It has a Hitachi motor.

What gives? Fried something?
crowley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-27-2014, 10:15 AM   #2
fleagt
Getting Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 81 DS CC - Fried F/R Switch?

I think a picture may assist us here, especially since you stated that the diagrams are not like your cart.
fleagt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #3
crowley
Not Yet Wild

So, after a bit more looking, the PO had 36v going to forward and reverse. I ran it like this for several weeks without issue, other than reverse having more speed/power than forward.

I have moved the right red cable from the first battery to the fourth(counting left to right). See here for where it is attached:

Here is a closeup of the F/R switch:

Here is the battery wiring PRIOR to moving the reverse to 18v.

Here is the micro on the F/R switch:

The blue goes to the ignition, I think. The yellow goes to the speed control box.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20140127_211138-W1024.jpg (118.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140127_211146-W1024.jpg (90.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140127_211157-W1024.jpg (103.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140127_212707-W1024.jpg (63.3 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20140127_212648-W1024.jpg (104.3 KB, 0 views)
Old 01-27-2014, 11:15 PM   #4
crowley
Not Yet Wild

I want to do a body-off tear down and replace all the wires, solenoids, switches, etc.

I don't have a fortune in it and the batteries are new. I think I have a good base from which to build though.
Old 01-27-2014, 11:18 PM   #5
93yellowclubcar
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Club Car

I don't know what might be fried, I will say that I had an old 5 solenoid cart once that I purposely hooked up 36 volt reverse on. I backed up a lot - wanted the extra power and not to be using off half my batteries for reverse. It would always burn rubber in reverse on dry pavement, but rarely in forward would it do this. Why? I have no clue really because the gearing is the same, but it sure enough would take off better in reverse. My EZGO 3 wheeler that I still have is the same way...

Someone is bound to be along shortly with an idea on what could be keeping you from moving.
93yellowclubcar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:28 PM   #6
crowley
Not Yet Wild

Yep leaves double black marks in reverse. Not a chance going forward. I thought the 18/36v might have been reversed. Still not sure what I broke.

I reversed the white and black, tapped the throttle in F/R with no movement. Switched yellow/blue on micro and tapped the throttle in F/R, nothing. I put it all back and no va!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-27-2014, 11:33 PM   #7
T.Hill56
Not Yet Wild
Mixed Breed

Presuming correct voltage both directions you are encountering a normal winding function of the motor. All motors have a directional preference and Club car diff's are backwards to the preferred rotation. Turned the diff backwards on my dragster and picked up 4 mph with much better initial acceleration. It is possible to re-position the brush holder to tune the preference but the armature windings can't be altered without an expensive rewind. Not worth the trouble.
T.Hill56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:45 PM   #8
crowley
Not Yet Wild

Yikes! Flipping the diff or rewinding the motor sounds like no fun.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Old 01-28-2014, 12:02 PM   #9
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Looking at your first photo, you have a badly burned cable and a very corroded cable at the battery connection. This will definitely hurt your speed and power! I would also put your forward speed cable on the battery first, as it will be the one used most of the time. We have a 91 DS that is also a bit more "juicy" in reverse too. That is normal for these carts when you have 36V to both forward and reverse.
As far as the no go, check that one solenoid small terminal is connected to B- through the V-Glide micro switch, and the other small terminal is connected to the F-R switch micro, which is connected to B+ through the key switch. You probably have a bad micro switch either in the V-Glide or on the F-R switch.

Edit: This post will help with wiring. Look at page#2 post#12
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...iagrams-2.html
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2014, 12:28 AM   #10
crowley
Not Yet Wild

Wink Re: 81 DS CC - Fried F/R Switch?

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Looking at your first photo, you have a badly burned cable and a very corroded cable at the battery connection. This will definitely hurt your speed and power! I would also put your forward speed cable on the battery first, as it will be the one used most of the time. We have a 91 DS that is also a bit more "juicy" in reverse too. That is normal for these carts when you have 36V to both forward and reverse.
As far as the no go, check that one solenoid small terminal is connected to B- through the V-Glide micro switch, and the other small terminal is connected to the F-R switch micro, which is connected to B+ through the key switch. You probably have a bad micro switch either in the V-Glide or on the F-R switch.

Edit: This post will help with wiring. Look at page#2 post#12
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...iagrams-2.html
V-Glide? What fancypants talk is this. Up until I replaced the brake shoes, we had to Fred-Flintstone this dinosaur to a stop! I have a speed switch assembly!

Post #4 here, right:
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/elect...-diagrams.html
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car