lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-19-2014, 06:23 PM   #11
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: 2000 club car won't run

OK - just a couple real basic things to start.

#1 - When you turn on the key you should hear a solenoid click - then 5 - 20 seconds later, without touching anything, you should hear that same solenoid click again. Do you? Timing does vary - my first controller took 20+ seconds, but the rebuilt is about 5 seconds. In any case, that is the timed tow-run-switch function - is it working?

#2 Please do spend the time (with main battery positive removed) cleaning the various connections including the controller plug, the spade connectors on the F/R rocker switch, etc. The controller has a multi-pin plug that could easily not be making full connection. Removing the main battery post for an extended period of time will have a second benefit - it will reset the OBC (in case the OBC go/no-go while charging feature has locked).

#3 - I have PM'd you a link to the full manual that has testing info for your controller - it will take a few minutes for you to download - then save the manual in your computer. You'll want to print the testing page to have with you.

In answer to your question - yes you could run cables to test the motor without any part of the controller in circuit - if that's what your asking - but honestly, a failed motor is very, very unlikely.
joesam is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-19-2014, 07:52 PM   #12
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I will assume you've probably got the manual by now - most of the test procedures are about continuity between the accelerator potentiometer and/or the forward-reverse rocker and the controller. Because a lack of continuity from either of those could be the cause of no movement.

If you've satisfied yourself that both of those *cheaper fixes* aren't the cause of your woes, then print and perform these controller tests:

Test Procedure 6 (page 21-28 )
Test Procedure 10 (page 21-31)
Test Procedure 36 (page 21-47)

Good luck!
Old 11-19-2014, 08:19 PM   #13
rtclopez
Not Yet Wild

I took your advise and checked all the wires going to the controller pulled the wires out of the lume found the other fuse that is in there it was on the green wire not the brown, checked it and it was good.There is a video on you tube that is pretty helpful but not right on.all the wires looked good I pulled apart the green wire at the connector and the brown wire at the connector they both looked good.Just for the heck of it I plugged everything back together and it runs!!!! I wonder if the green and brown wire I disconnected reset the computer. Thanks for your time and help on this
rtclopez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2014, 09:10 PM   #14
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

The OBC lockout transistor wire is yellow, so I'm not certain. In any case a lot of carts get *fixed* with wire and connector cleaning and wiggling. GOOD FOR YOU! You discovered the most affordable fix of all!

If you haven't yet, download the manual. It will come in handy in future. How do you use your cart? In golf and neighborhood cruising service I personally believe a Regen 1 is as fine as any cart. But rough/off road use is going to be a big weakness with the non-waterproof Pot Box (accelerator) and what I believe to be a sensitivity to wiring having solid connections.
Old 11-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #15
rtclopez
Not Yet Wild

I've had the cart for about 12 years out at the river in Arizona, it's lifted with big tires and the kids drive it all over the desert, the biggest problem I have is maintaining the batteries.The 115 degree heat is hard on batteries. this is the first problem I've had so I can honestly say this has been a awesome cart.
Old 11-19-2014, 11:44 PM   #16
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

I'll be darned - another long time owner of a reliable Regen 1! Until now I've had the impression that was a pretty uncommon occurrence. Maybe the drier climates we live in, is the secret sauce to their longevity. Glad your momentary problem was simple too!
Old 04-16-2015, 01:03 AM   #17
rtclopez
Not Yet Wild

The cart is acting up again, I was wondering if the controller was bad would it be able to reset? when the cart decides to not work if I pull all of the wires off of the N terminal and reinstall them the cart will work for some time. I downloaded the service manual and did all of the diagnostics and it pointed to the controller but why would it reset if it where bad.
Old 04-16-2015, 10:32 AM   #18
joesam
Gone Wild
Club Car

That's really a Sergio question, but my instinct is yes - the controller may reset - and so may the OBC which can essentially lock-out the controller (removing neg resets it also). Sergio if you see this, he has a real-live-actual BLACK T-shaped controller like me with all original plugs. Which color wire did you mention in your last post (to that Regen 1 1/2 guy), that will bypass the OBC lockout? I know its not blu/wht but can't recall which is the correct color wire.
Old 04-16-2015, 11:32 AM   #19
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Joesam, I think You are correct, it does seem to be an issue with the OBC lockout.

rtclopez, when you remove all of the wires from the "N" terminal, You also remove the power from the OBC.

That version of the OBC sinks (provides a path to negative) on the Yellow wire when the cart is not in lockout mode.

Run the Yellow wire #19 on the diagram below directly to the "N" terminal or pack negative.

You can just tape the side of the wire that goes to the OBC as it is not needed.

The only side effect is that You would be able to drive the cart if the charger is plugged, not that anyone would ever try it...

Regen (1) Wiring Diagram
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2015, 11:44 AM   #20
rtclopez
Not Yet Wild

If the cart isn't running and I disconnect the neg wire on the #6 battery (the one that goes through the obc) nothing changes and it still won't run, But if I disconnect the wires at the controller on the N terminal (5 wires) the cart will run
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car