lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-04-2015, 07:33 AM   #1
jackfr
Not Yet Wild

Default LESTRONIC II intermittent Charges

I have a LESTRONIC II 36 volt charger that only charges after batteries have been brought up to almost full charge by another LESTRONIC II first. We have two club car DS 36 volt carts, a 1992 and a 1993. Both act the same on this charger and both can be fully charged on the other. Sometimes all you get is the click after 2 seconds and then nothing other times the charger will turn on and charge at over 20 amps for a very short period then shut it self off. Usually before it goes off you can hear it start to chatter. If charged with the other charger first this charger will start and finish the charge on either cart. This problem just started approx. 3 days ago. The Carts both have batteries no older than a year, they are used daily year round and are maintained weekly. Can I fix this charger or is it junk?? Any suggestions on testing/fixing would be greatly appreciated.

Jack
jackfr is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-04-2015, 03:35 PM   #2
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: LESTRONIC II intermittent Charges

It's repairable and there are multiple sources for the parts...the two most common failure areas I have seen are the diode packs and the relay. Start by unplugging the charger from both the cart and the 110v A/C connections. Take the cover screws off including the ones for the handle and put them in a cup so they don't get lost. You will need a good multimeter preferably one with diode testing capabilities....test each individual diode looking for any issues including feedback and signs of high heat or any visual look that is different from the other diodes. The reason I say that is a stressed diode may only show up under load when it gets hot. The parts are not overly expensive and sometimes will come all together with the relay and all in a battery charger "tune-up" kit. The relay chattering is indicative of fried contacts and again is hard to test accurately make sure all the wires are pushed into the tabs on the relay and there are no signs of excessive heat there either. The connectors can get hot and not make a good connection and sometimes need to be replaced. Final item...make sure the fuse and its connectors are good. Hope this helps.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2015, 06:58 AM   #3
jackfr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: LESTRONIC II intermittent Charges

Thanks for the info! I'll try and look at it today and get back with what I find. Any suggestions on where to purchase a tuneup kit
Old 06-05-2015, 09:11 PM   #4
jackfr
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: LESTRONIC II intermittent Charges

I found two slide on wires loose on bottom of relay. Pushed them back on its working fine now. Thanks again for you help
Old 06-06-2015, 12:33 AM   #5
theboss20
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Smile Re: LESTRONIC II intermittent Charges

Cool...make sure the connectors are tight...just pinch them with a needle nose pliers.
theboss20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car