lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2017, 02:55 PM   #1
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Default Need a little more torque

Okay, took my 99 CC DS up to my hunting lease this weekend to put it through the paces with the new Crown CR190's I just bought, Battery life was great ! I'm impressed ! Its a 48volt cart, with a lift and 22inch GBC dirt devils , I rode it around our property yesterday with myself and another guy riding with me, all total probably 550lbs between us, up and down some rolling hills, our woods roads are probably 50/50 flat and rolling hills, It responded fine, although there were a couple times I would have liked to have more torque, top speed on this cart level ground is roughly 13-14mph.
As far as I can tell the motor and controller are stock, cart came with 4gauge battery wires and I've already upgraded to 2ga.
What is my best option for adding more torque without going whole hog right now ? Will a 400amp controller/hd solenoid and F/R switch give me more torque with the stock motor ? Or can I buy a motor with more HP and run my stock controller ? I'd really rather not spend another $1k right now for both motor and controller. If I can do this in stages and complete the package later I'd rather do it that way right now. I know I can drop back down in tire size and that will help some, with torque and add to battery life as well I suppose, but after trying these tires out, I'd sort like to keep them.
transfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2017, 03:47 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Need a little more torque

The motor will add more draw without improving the supply side.
Get the 400 or 500 amp controller and solenoid, then the motor and HD F&R.
The Admiral MOT A-1 is a great motor for this cart.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 05:13 PM   #3
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
The motor will add more draw without improving the supply side.
Get the 400 or 500 amp controller and solenoid, then the motor and HD F&R.
The Admiral MOT A-1 is a great motor for this cart.
I've already been looking at that motor, I've seen where you recommended it to others,

Okay a newbie question ,,,,, With the 400amp or 500amp controller, will they shorten my charge life " only " when I'm into the throttle full ? In other words if I'm 1/4 to 1/2 throttling around the land, they won't draw anymore power than my current stock controller will they ? I know I need a higher amp solenoid, I'm an auto tech by trade, learned the value of good solenoids on the older ford trucks I grew up working on I'm just having to learn this lectric transportation ! lol
Old 04-30-2017, 06:40 PM   #4
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

I think you would be disappointed if you only get a 400 amp controller . Rolling hills and hunting land I wouldnt get anything under 500 amps.
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2017, 09:30 PM   #5
transfixer
Getting Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swan View Post
I think you would be disappointed if you only get a 400 amp controller . Rolling hills and hunting land I wouldnt get anything under 500 amps.
Maybe, but I don't intend to use it the same way I do my 4wd 4wheeler, I'm not replacing the 4wheeler for the heavy work, or messy mud. The cart will be used mainly going to and from the stands, and traveling the roads that cris-cross our property, If I've got to go down into a creek bottom, or swampy area, ravines, etc, I'll use my 4 wheeler. I'm more concerned with battery longevity on the cart, with the option for a little extra torque if I'm carrying a passenger and a 150lb buck in the back. Most of our rolling hills aren't over 15 or 20 degree slopes, and usually short, maybe 100 yds or till you reach the crest. The cart is so much easier to use running around on the property, and silent !! I'm loving the silent part ! cruising around the roads this am I rode up on a turkey, didn't even know I was there until I was 40 ft or so from it. No exhaust or gas fumes either for the deer or hogs to smell !
Old 05-01-2017, 12:13 AM   #6
Dlab
Gone Wild

500 altrax controller "peaks at 570", you already have 2 gauge cables so should be good to go. HD f/r would be a good idea, though I've been running a stocker for a while now with no issues, with a high torque motor. High torque motor and 500 amp controller made a night and day difference in my hunting buggie. It hauls a full load better up hills now than it did stock solo on flat ground
Dlab is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car