lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-15-2009, 10:03 PM   #21
Swoop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 89 ezgo clutch problem please help

Hey BadBowtie,

I have a 92 with that same clutch. How did you get it off? I am having trouble and the 3/4-16 clutch puller doesn't seem to fit (the threads seem to lock up). The puller fits my "new" clutch and easily screws in well past the depth needed to remove the clutch from the shaft. The puller will only screw into the old clutch about 3-4 turns.. not enough to extend it far enough to pull the clutch off.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks,

-Swoop
Swoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-16-2009, 07:24 AM   #22
Ol'geezer
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Hi,

Sounds to me like the threads in the clutch must be rusted pretty bad. I used a grade 8, 3/4 inch fine thread bolt and put a piece of 5/8 shaft in the bore first. Had to hit it hard with an impact, but it came off after a bit. If you can find a tap that size, you could always chase the threads. Maybe soak the bore in penatrating oil before trying it again. I would check the depth of your puller bolt by using something as a depth gauge first.

Good luck, Marty
Ol'geezer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2009, 07:43 AM   #23
Swoop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks for the advice Ol'geezer.

I have already soaked it in penetrating oil prior to doing anything.

Chasing the thread was my next thought also prior to attempting the removal again. Since I sell taps for a living getting a 3/4-16 UNF tap is a no-brainer...

I already got a puller before I found this forum and the "bolt / shaft" method but if I have any other issues with the puller I now have an alternate method.

-Swoop
Old 04-16-2009, 09:23 PM   #24
Swoop
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Smile Re: 89 ezgo clutch problem please help

I got it off!

Filled the shaft with grease, inserted the puller.. tightened it as far as I could... tool the puller out and put in more grease... reinserted the puller... repeated this exercise 4 times and then used a big bar over my breaker bar... then noticed the shaft was spinning inside the clutch as turned the breaker bar... one tap with a maul and voila off it popped...

Thanks to this forum for the tips on how to remove it!!! I was really struggling until I found this site!

Now to install the new one...

-Swoop
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO