lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-11-2020, 03:01 PM   #1
Dave in VA
maintaining a low profile

Yamaha

Default G11 Axle Ratio

I'm trying to determine the axle ratio on this G11. Part numbers on shopyamaha.com for the axle assy and the individual gears seem to be the same for the G16 and the G11. Not sure about the input shaft. There's no mention of a different axle in the G11 supplement of my shop manual.

I've jacked both the 16 and the 11 up. Removed the belt. Blocked one tire so it couldn't turn.

In F, turning the other tire 1 revolution, the clutch turned 6 times in the G16, and 7 times in the G11.

In R, 1 revolution of the tire, the clutch turned 8 times for both.

What is this telling me, if anything?
Dave in VA is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-11-2020, 04:15 PM   #2
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: G11 Axle Ratio

If you're only measuring one wheel, isn't it half the rotations? Because of the open diff?

The way I do it is disconnect the belt and roll the cart on the garage floor one full tire rotation and count the rotation of the secondary clutch. That will give you final drive ratio. Might be the same result as what you did.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 09:52 AM   #3
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
If you're only measuring one wheel, isn't it half the rotations? Because of the open diff?

The way I do it is disconnect the belt and roll the cart on the garage floor one full tire rotation and count the rotation of the secondary clutch. That will give you final drive ratio. Might be the same result as what you did.
That's what I thought I read, but couldn't find it. Can't roll it--it's apart.

If so, then in F, the G16 -- 6 x 2 = 12:1, more or less, the G11 -- 7 x 2 = 14:1, more or less, and R on both -- 8 x 2 = 16:1

It's the part numbers and lack of different info in the service manual that has me wondering.
Old 04-12-2020, 09:55 AM   #4
raydhd
VC 460 CLONE GONE WILD

Yamaha

With the overdrive factor from the primary to secondary clutches that probably puts you on factory published ratios. I found the factory #'s for the early G14 11.34:1 F and 15.25 R. Didn't find the G 16's #'s
raydhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 10:18 AM   #5
Dave in VA

Yamaha

I have found no numbers for the G11. My test was with the belt removed and one wheel chocked. All I know is that in F, the secondary on the G11 turns 1 more revolution than the G16, when the tire is turned 1 rev.

So something is different--FWD gear, maybe?--in the G11 rear. Seems to me it's a lower gear.
Old 04-12-2020, 11:18 AM   #6
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Dave, I have searched my service manuals and looked at owners manuals and can not find the ratio for you. I can tell you the "forward" gear is different then the golf car gear. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2020, 12:02 PM   #7
Dave in VA

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
Dave, I have searched my service manuals and looked at owners manuals and can not find the ratio for you. I can tell you the "forward" gear is different then the golf car gear. Sorry I couldn't be more help.
Thanks, Dave, that's a big help. That difference must account for the lower ratio that it apparently has.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:37 PM   #8
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave in VA View Post
Thanks, Dave, that's a big help. That difference must account for the lower ratio that it apparently has.
You looking to go faster or just for knowledge? I believe they did this for slower speed and torque.
Old 04-12-2020, 12:42 PM   #9
Dave in VA

Yamaha

No, not really looking for speed. It'll have 22's. Need to verify the lower ratio before I replace the clutch. Torque with speed would be fine.
Old 04-12-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

I alway's liked setting G11's/G21's at "A2". I have a "speed spring" if you want it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha