lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-12-2020, 01:20 PM   #1
22 MarkMark
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default G1 No Reverse Spark ~ baffled ??

So I have no spark in reverse, runs in forward . Cart is a J24 serial number , not sure about he wiring diagram for it , using both before and after , Have done lots of search’s and think I’m starting to understand the wiring, kinda ? This is what has been done :
- I have good voltage from key switch to various parts
- grounds seem good ( have redone some connections )
- new battery cables
- have cleaned all connections at solenoids
So what am I missing in my trouble shooting ?
I’m a mechanic, but not so much on 2 strokes ...
—— note : my cdi box has 7 wires and wiring diagrams I’m using show 6 , there is a red with male and female bullet terminals not being used - there is no voltage at this wire .
Any help would be great ! Thanks. Mark
22 MarkMark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-13-2020, 09:42 AM   #2
Lochlin
Gone Wild

Default Re: G1 No Reverse Spark ~ baffled ??

Getting spark in one direction but not the other is a fairly common sign of faulty cdi. Personally, I would replace it and see what ya got at that point.

That being said, I have an 80s era Columbia (very similar to a G1) that had almost this exact problem exact that the cart had spark in reverse but not forward. As I have a lot of spare parts on hand I literally replaced all ignition components with known good ones; coil, key switch, HEI module (same as the G1 cdi), spark plug, microswitch (same as the G1 stop switch), and still had no spark in forward. I ended up replacing all of the wiring in the ignition circuit and that got my forward spark back. I am not sure exactly the failure was but it was internal to a wire for sure.
Lochlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 03:39 PM   #3
22 MarkMark
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

So the extra red wire ( on the CDI box ) has voltage on it with a test lite when forward spark happens . Nothing in reverse .
Not sure what that is about or why or what that wire is for ? I’m guessing that it would have voltage if there was also spark in reverse .
Old 09-13-2020, 09:25 PM   #4
kogieblack
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Check your key switch.
kogieblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #5
22 MarkMark
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for replies .... not key switch , that was new , forget to say that .
- It was related to the CDI tho ... asked the aftermarket guy that builds them and sells on EBAY What the red wire was for ~~ his reply was - it gets connected to the pink wire for backup alarm and probably won’t allow spark if not connected .
Hooked the red wire inline with pink wire , boom started in reverse immediately !
I’m sure the other things I did to that point didn’t hurt .
So the last guy who couldn’t get it running and sold it to me apparently didn’t read instructions for the new CDI he installed !!
Runs great with carb adjustment , but clutch sounds noisy in forward , not so much in reverse .
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha