lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-16-2020, 10:02 AM   #1
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 - Rear tires rubbing

Hey everyone,
I just bought a 2017 Drive 2 after losing my beloved electric Precedent in a garage fire .
I bought some 14" rims with 225/40-14 tires. Total height is about 21". With them installed, the passenger side has about 1/2-3/4" clearance with the wife and kids on the cart, but the driver side rubs. Come to find out the driver side rear is sagging about 1/4-1/2" compared to the passenger side.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look or how to fix this sag on that side? The rims already lifted the cart a good bit, so if possible, I would rather not put a lift kit in.

I have thought about cutting 1-2" off the rear wheel well and then putting some small fender flares on to fix the issue, but figured I would ask if there is a better way here first.

Thanks everyone!
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-16-2020, 12:09 PM   #2
Jdk261
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 - Rear tires rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grinds6 View Post
Hey everyone,
I just bought a 2017 Drive 2 after losing my beloved electric Precedent in a garage fire .
I bought some 14" rims with 225/40-14 tires. Total height is about 21". With them installed, the passenger side has about 1/2-3/4" clearance with the wife and kids on the cart, but the driver side rubs. Come to find out the driver side rear is sagging about 1/4-1/2" compared to the passenger side.

Does anyone have any ideas as to where to look or how to fix this sag on that side? The rims already lifted the cart a good bit, so if possible, I would rather not put a lift kit in.

I have thought about cutting 1-2" off the rear wheel well and then putting some small fender flares on to fix the issue, but figured I would ask if there is a better way here first.

Thanks everyone!
Short Version: Don Plowman doesn't advertise it on his site, but he will fix your spring woes. I sent mine in and he charged me $50, I believe.

Long Version: I recently called Don Plowman and was talking to him about potentially purchasing the Jake's HD rear springs for my 2012 drive because my cart was a real liability taking turns with passengers. Sagging, front tires coming off the ground, etc...As he explained it to me, the Jake's springs do work...however, they are SUPER strong so unless you're always riding with a full load all the time, you won't really compress them and it will ride very stiff.

So, he told me to take my rear shocks off and just send them to him. I put them in a box, along with a piece of paper with my name/number/address, and shipped out to Michigan. He called me when he got them, asked me some questions about where I drive the cart and how many adults and/or kids would be on at any given time, and what kind of rear seat I had...then he made the cuts/stiffened them up and shipped back to me the same day. The stability of the cart improved exponentially and no more sagging.
Jdk261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2020, 03:18 PM   #3
Grinds6
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 2017 Yamaha Drive 2 - Rear tires rubbing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdk261 View Post
Short Version: Don Plowman doesn't advertise it on his site, but he will fix your spring woes. I sent mine in and he charged me $50, I believe.

Long Version: I recently called Don Plowman and was talking to him about potentially purchasing the Jake's HD rear springs for my 2012 drive because my cart was a real liability taking turns with passengers. Sagging, front tires coming off the ground, etc...As he explained it to me, the Jake's springs do work...however, they are SUPER strong so unless you're always riding with a full load all the time, you won't really compress them and it will ride very stiff.

So, he told me to take my rear shocks off and just send them to him. I put them in a box, along with a piece of paper with my name/number/address, and shipped out to Michigan. He called me when he got them, asked me some questions about where I drive the cart and how many adults and/or kids would be on at any given time, and what kind of rear seat I had...then he made the cuts/stiffened them up and shipped back to me the same day. The stability of the cart improved exponentially and no more sagging.
Thanks for the info! I might look into doing that later this fall. I will probably end up doing some sort of lift eventually. I do intend to put a rear seat on, so a lift would probably be the only way to get the body off the tires enough for that extra weight...unfortunately.
Grinds6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha