lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-09-2010, 10:19 AM   #1
wheelmanforhire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Good charger has stomped working on for my 03 CC

2003 Club Car Electric I.Q. Golf Car, 48 Volt Regen

Status: Batteries are about 1 year old. Cart will run (but can't charge it so not driving it). cart charge meter read just below 50%. Was having no problem until a week ago: Cart will not charger because the charger suddenly won't come on.

Problem: Club car brand Charger won't come on.

1) Took charger to golf cart shop, they plugged it in connected it to floor model and it comes on. They said carger is fine.

2) Checked battery cells: all plates covered with water. Used Eye dropper on every cell and all have about 2 to 3 balls of float.

3) Checked wall outlet - runs everything puggled into it - trouble light, leaf blower, etc, but charger won't come on.

4) Used alternate wall outlet - runs everything plugged into it. Charger won't come on.

5) Tightened nuts on all the battery post connections. Wiggled every other wire I could see to see if something had come lose. Car runs so I'm thinking everything is still connect as it should be.

6) I followed the procedrues in the CC forum to reset the OBC (on board computer) - cart charge meter immediatley showed 100% charge after reset (which can't be right). Have not checked it again since OBC reset.

5) Checked fuse in yellow rubber boot coming from cart recepticle. Continutity tester shows current passing through fuse. No corrosion visible on fuse.

Any suggestions on what to check next? After reading through forums - sounds like I could try any of the following next... (All of them make me nervous)

a) check individual battery volts(?) and full pack volts(?) with volt meter. I don't have one - will have to buy one, and I have no clue how to use it - don't want to make problem worse. Any warnigns / procedures on how to do this would be appreciated.

b) jump the charger to bypass a "low volt check" and force the charger to come on - sounds dangerous and I'm nervous about doing that.

c) replace the cart recepticle. Looks like there is some clear plastic thing on the back side of the recepticle. Is that a fuse also? how can I check it? Any procedures / warnings on how to do this would be appreciated if you thing this is worth trying now.
wheelmanforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-09-2010, 11:48 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Good charger has stomped working on for my 03 CC

c) this is a fuse also check it for continuity at the two bolts on it's backside .......

Also one more fuse in a yellow rubber boot either at the solenoid or the obc. Search until you find it and check. you must get OEM 3/8 amp fuses if you need to replace them. If they blow, there is usually a problem... unless you washed the cart and got water in the fuse holder? Check it out and P. S. every sparky owner should have a digital voltmeter they are safe and informative.....
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:35 PM   #3
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Dont worry about the other fuse in the back its not there on that model.It only has one on the front.the little fuse on the charger receptacle is blown if its in 2 pieces thats why the cover is clear plastic.You do need a good digital voltmeter like scotty said.I am sure though that you have a failed OBC.
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
golfcarfixer
Gone Wild

Club Car

Oh yes. and 1 more thing Where does the 10gauge wire from the charging receptacle go,To the battery or to the solenoid post?
golfcarfixer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:17 PM   #5
wheelmanforhire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
c) this is a fuse also check it for continuity at the two bolts on it's backside .......

Also one more fuse in a yellow rubber boot either at the solenoid or the obc. Search until you find it and check.
1) I had prevously found and checked a fuse in yellow boot very close to the receptical. Fuse is good. Sounds like you are pointing me to a third fuse, I'll have to look for it.
2) Found fuse inside plastic cover between two bolts. Did not remove wires and I get continuity. Do I have to remove wires from bolts on back side of receptical to accuratly check continuity?

Last edited by wheelmanforhire; 03-09-2010 at 02:38 PM.. Reason: corrected text
Old 03-09-2010, 02:26 PM   #6
wheelmanforhire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Bought multimeter. I hope I'm using this thing correctly. Turned dial to DC Voltage (20 or 200 units - don't recall for sure). Took it out to the cart tested each battery individually (by disconnecting cables thus isolating battery). All batteries measure around 8V or more. Cart charge meter still said 100% (note prior to OCB reset it said 50%). So I started to think.. ah ah.. of course its not going to charge because the OCB correctly belives the batteres are full (and apparently they are since all are at 8V or more.)

So I figured I'd drive it around, get the meter to drop 3-4 notches and I'd get home, hook it up to the charger and it would start charging.

Nope... cart charge meter now reads about 60%... charger still won't come on.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:33 PM   #7
wheelmanforhire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by golfcarfixer View Post
Oh yes. and 1 more thing Where does the 10gauge wire from the charging receptacle go,To the battery or to the solenoid post?
I'll have to check and get back to you. I'm not sure I'm skilled enough to distinguish which is the 10 gauge wire. I also don't know what the solenoid looks like.
Old 03-10-2010, 10:21 AM   #8
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

OK here are a few pictures of a solinoid(s),
http://www.everythingcarts.com/c-265-solenoids.aspx
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #9
Fishing Dude
Gone Wild

Club Car

Is the circuit breaker tripped on charger?
Fishing Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
wheelmanforhire
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Nope. works fine at the Golf cart dealership.

Tags
2003, 48v, carger wont com on
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car