lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-08-2010, 03:40 AM   #1
Ethos
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default 48 x 2006 / 8 PQ's. Battery advice....

Hi.
I've been given the (unenviable?) job of looking after the battery/electrical side of 48 2006 and 2008 Precedents spread over 4 golf courses in Kent and Sussex. Looking for information, I came across this wonderful forum and have been absorbing information from Stickies and Posts over the last few days.
I could still do with a few pointers though. I can't find a wiring diagram for 2006 or 2008 - I think the latest one was for a 2003. (Typical serial numbers for my buggies are PQ0634-666877 and PQ0827-921281)
I've cleaned the batteries, cleaned and greased the connectors/terminals, measured the voltages and the specific gravities - now what can I tell from that? Will it indicate a bad cell? Or do I need a load tester?
I can't afford to buy a Cadex tester at £1200 plus VAT or is there something on the (UK) market that will load test effectively for a lot less money?
There's a lot of questions in here so I'll leave it at that....brilliant site - thanks for all the info.
Billy
Ethos is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-08-2010, 09:07 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 48 x 2006 / 8 PQ's. Battery advice....

To start with I dont envey you your undertaking as you will find that it will be a huge undertaking until you get the carts all up into shape where normal maintanece will be much easier?
#1-First of all I would get yourself a Club Car service manual ( expensive but worth the funds ) for the Precedents from either a local Club Car dealer or From Club Car at http:www.clubcar.com. or if available from one of our sight sponsors? It will have everything you need such as wiring diagrams etc.
#2-For test equipment I would look at http:www.harborfreight.com as they have cheap load testers not the best quality but at prices I would get several at a time? Of course unknown what shipping and tarrifs you would have to England?
50 amp load tester # 93784 $16.99 plus freight USA
100 amp load tester # 90636 $14.99 plus freight USA
500 amp load tester # 91129 $59.99 Plus freight USA
#3-Also you need a digital volt meter and again Harbor Freight has following
# 90899 $3.99 Plus Freight USA
# 92020 $5.99 Plus Freight USA
#98025 $9.99 Plus freight USA
#4-Next you need a GOOD Hydrometer ( single float with Temperature correcting scale, NOT a multi float antifreeze tester ) should be available at any auto parts store or should I say lorry parts store? This will give you each cell condition and in case of a bad battery give syou advanced notice.
#5-Next a means of adding "distilled water" to batterys ( bulb type or container with flex hose ) I found that using a gallon plus size container with flex tubing and spring type shut off similar to enima bottle shut off works great.
#6-Next a good battery carrier ( batterys very heavy and need universal type strap lift ) again auto parts store.
#7- Lots of house hold baking soda for acid
#8- soft long brissil brush for cleaning batterys
#9-Wire brush ( I use a copper mounted in plastic ) to clean terminals and battery boxes
Again I wish you all the luck in your project?
NOTE please excuse spelling?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:40 AM   #3
gsf35099
Gone Wild

Club Car

Old Mec,
Will this load tester work on 8volt as well?
http://www.harborfreight.com/100-amp...ter-90636.html
gsf35099 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 12:53 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Yes as about any load tester will work as long as voltage and amp rating is high enough. The scale for load wont directly apply to 8 volt batterys but when set on 12 volts should give very good indication of condition. Test a few new or near new batterys should give you a very good idea what readings should be. I personally dont use a load tester because I have gotten used to testing with a hydrometer since the mid 1940? and it gives me the info I want and besides at my time in life I DONT LIKE CHANGE AND AM SET IN MY WAYS???? Just joking
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 01:41 PM   #5
Ethos
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Thanks very much for the help you guys.....I'm pressing on with the first clean up...
Billy
Old 06-09-2010, 02:04 PM   #6
cheapjeep2
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethos View Post
Hi.
I've been given the (unenviable?) job of looking after the battery/electrical side of 48 2006 and 2008 Precedents spread over 4 golf courses in Kent and Sussex. Looking for information, I came across this wonderful forum and have been absorbing information from Stickies and Posts over the last few days.
I could still do with a few pointers though. I can't find a wiring diagram for 2006 or 2008 - I think the latest one was for a 2003. (Typical serial numbers for my buggies are PQ0634-666877 and PQ0827-921281)
I've cleaned the batteries, cleaned and greased the connectors/terminals, measured the voltages and the specific gravities - now what can I tell from that? Will it indicate a bad cell? Or do I need a load tester?
I can't afford to buy a Cadex tester at £1200 plus VAT or is there something on the (UK) market that will load test effectively for a lot less money?
There's a lot of questions in here so I'll leave it at that....brilliant site - thanks for all the info.
Billy
ETHOS, Send me a private message with your email address. I have something to help.
cheapjeep2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2010, 04:14 PM   #7
Ethos
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Hi Cheap Jeep - I don't think I can PM you yet until I've been around for a while. You can find my email address at directbatteries.co.uk though...
Thanks,
Billy
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car