lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #1
bss4ced
Not Yet Wild

Default 1993 ezgo marathon??

Guys, sorry if this info has been posted before but I am very new to the golf cart craze. I have just purchased a 1993 ezgo which I must say is in A1 condition! However I have no clue as to what you guys are refferring to when you use your lingo. I am not sure what I have.......I have replaced the batteries and all seems to be doing well. I am very capable of working on this thing myself but I am from the gas industry and know nothing about this electric stuff. I would however like to have some more power as I am going to add a second seat and would also like to lift it. It seems to do well now, but when I add the wife and the 2 kids, I would like to have plenty of power. I have heard many of you talk about more amps, more voltage and bigger motors. I am not opposed to and would like to have some more info on what i have to do to add more amps. however, I do not want to go to more voltage......seems a little over kill after I have seen some threads stating that the amp addition seems to do well. Please understand that I have no idea what the controller looks like or anything else for that matter. I would greatly appreciate some pics if possible to refer me to what I need to replace or add at that. if anyone knows of a good price 2nd seat addition I would definetly be interested in hearing about it or if possible make it myself. Thanks in advance to anyone who has some help and could guide me through and help me dive into this new project. DOes anyone know what type of motor I have?? Is my model a Marathon for sure?
bss4ced is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-02-2010, 02:39 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1993 ezgo marathon??

Welcome to bgw ... can you post some pics of your cart and some under the seat pics too? That will help us identify the cart and the components.... IF it is a 93 and has not been upgraded yet ~ a bigger controller may be just what you need for that back seat and lift kit..... Pics will help
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:56 PM   #3
bss4ced
Not Yet Wild

I am on a camping trip this weekend, but I will surely post some on Monday afternoon. Please be looking for them and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and your genuine hospitality. This is an incredible way to be able to perform the work on your own! Thanks again!
Old 07-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bss4ced View Post
I am on a camping trip this weekend, but I will surely post some on Monday afternoon. Please be looking for them and I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help and your genuine hospitality. This is an incredible way to be able to perform the work on your own! Thanks again!
This is exactly why and how BGW was formed .... not that I had a thing to do with it, the original group just wanted a free space to exchange GC related information .... today it has over 25,000 registered members
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 07:33 PM   #5
bss4ced
Not Yet Wild

I hope to be able to help someone one day myself!! Thanks. Pics on Monday!
Old 07-07-2010, 08:29 AM   #6
bss4ced
Not Yet Wild

These are the pics I was telling you that I was going to put on yesterday. After some research, I am pretty sure this is callled a Marathon, but still a little unsure. Not sure what type of motor this is called either. Any of your expertise would be greatly appreciated. I am looking to install a lift kit, rear seat and would like to add some more torque, however this weekend we hauled six people on relatively flat ground and it didnt seem to have any problem. At one point during the weekend, it just quit on me twice. I wiggled some wires under the seat and it didnt seem to do any good but after it sat for about 10 min, it just took right off and had no problems since. Any ideas?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cart1.jpg (111.8 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg cart2.jpg (94.6 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg cart3.jpg (118.1 KB, 55 views)
File Type: jpg cart4.jpg (128.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 07-07-2010, 07:47 PM   #7
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yes, that is a Marathon and the motor is a Series motor. More than likely the times that it stopped working this weekend were due to the controller going into "thermal overload" and as soon as it cooled down (in your case 10 min), it reset itself and you were able to continue travelling.

Jakes makes a nice lift kit for this model, and I would strongly suggest if you are going to lift it, upgrade to at least a 400 AMP controller. The stock controller has 4 main terminals, but to save money you can get one that has only 3 terminals (this will require a small change in the wiring but we can assist you with that). Also, I would reccommend at least 4 gauge cables and a HD solenoid and F&R unit. If funding permits you may want to also consider a motor upgrade as well.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 01:51 PM   #8
bss4ced
Not Yet Wild

Thanks so much for the reply! Couple questions. I have been told that I am repairing a dinosaur?? What's your thoughts? The guy told me that basically I was wasting my time and money putting this type of money into that old of a machine and that I would do better if I sold it and bought a newer model. I am not able to spend 3 or 4 thousand on a cart at one time, however I am able to sink money into it slowly and that's the main reason I bought an older cart. We (My wife and I) do want the look of a lifted cart and big wheels and enough power for the rear seat. Am I wasting time and money? Is this machine going to hold up? Can you give me the name of the three prong controller and a motor you recommend? Am I going to burn up the stock motor with the upgraded controller if it takes me awhile to get the motor? I greatly appreciate the help and look forward to hearing from you again!!
Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by bss4ced View Post
Thanks so much for the reply! Couple questions. I have been told that I am repairing a dinosaur?? What's your thoughts? The guy told me that basically I was wasting my time and money putting this type of money into that old of a machine and that I would do better if I sold it and bought a newer model. I am not able to spend 3 or 4 thousand on a cart at one time, however I am able to sink money into it slowly and that's the main reason I bought an older cart. We (My wife and I) do want the look of a lifted cart and big wheels and enough power for the rear seat. Am I wasting time and money? Is this machine going to hold up? Can you give me the name of the three prong controller and a motor you recommend? Am I going to burn up the stock motor with the upgraded controller if it takes me awhile to get the motor? I greatly appreciate the help and look forward to hearing from you again!!
in terms of Golf cars, a marathon is old.... but keep in mind that I still run one myself (with upgrades to the electronics). Is it a waste of time/money? I personally don't think so but you are going to find some parts are getting harder to locate for these older carts.

As for Controllers, I personally use the GE controllers. alltrax makes a good one as well. You could probably get away with running a 400-500 AMP controller for quite some time without causing harm to the stock motor. PurpleQuick seems to make a great product in terms of motor (although I didn't see any listed for 19 Spline (E-Z-GO) on their site, they do offer the option of sending in your motor for a refurb at a discounted rate.

Lift kits are limited in available sizes, but they are out there.

Rear seats are almost non-existant for Marathons so that is something that will have to be custom fabricated.

The biggest thing on a Marathon is to look over the frame REALLY good.... If there is rust at all, deal with it FIRST.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 07:53 PM   #10
Ej 122
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Hi there guys i too have a 1993 marathon. My cart has an 8 inch lift with 25 inch swamper tires. I would love to get more power out of the cart torque and speed wise but i dont have too much cash. Please help me out and tell me what i can do it is a series cart. I would also like to know if my cart is a 36 volt or a 48 volt thanks
Ej 122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO