lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-25-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
island ho
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default can i charge batts.individually until...

hi, yes its my first post and already i ask for help. i bought a 2006 club car dsiq and have dead batteries. ive ordered a charger but until it gets here can i charge the batteries individually with a trickle charger? ive unhooked all wires going to batts.cleaned terminals, posts and also topped off with distilled water. also how do i tell what battery model i have? only thing on batteries is "club car battery by trogen". are they t860, t875 ect.? thank you in advance for the help.
tye
island ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
buckmanmike
Gone Wild

Default Re: can i charge batts.individually until...

if they are 8 series batteries that means 8v. Should have 4 caps per battery. I wouldn't recommend using a 12 v charger to bring them up, but others have.
If they are dead the new charger will probably not "see" them because voltage is so low. Then you have little choice but to individually charge by whatever means you have to raise them to a voltage the charger will recognize.
Each cap on battery represents 2 volts. ie 3 caps = 6v, 4=8v, 6=12v.
buckmanmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 06:36 AM   #3
island ho
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks for the reply, they are 12 volt batteries. i am going to unhook all wires and put each battery on a trickle charge till they each fully charge.
Old 08-26-2010, 07:13 AM   #4
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

I have not heard of a DS with 12v batteries. Are you sure it is not a precedent? If they are 12v batteries there is no problem charging them with a 12v battery charger one at a time. I also don't believe you have to unhook them all, just charge one at a time.
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 07:43 AM   #5
ssdane
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Maybe not out your way, but in SC you see a lot of the ds 4-12s I have one myself an 07. I have it on speed 4 and am very well pleased.
ssdane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 08:10 AM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

If Island Ho has 12v there will only be 4 of them .... huh? Either way a trickle charge on a dead battery is like an eye dropper of water to a man dying of thirst. Get a real charger. The more amps the better for old flat batteries, they need to be shocked back to life.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2010, 10:31 AM   #7
island ho
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

thanks all, it is a dsiq, aq06517 club car. it has 4 12 volt trogen batteries. my charger can set from 12 vlt-2amp, 12 vlt-10amp, or 55amp quick start. ive switched the charger from 2amp to 10amp per scottyb's reply. would 55amp be too much, too hot, and should i take the caps off while charging?
Old 08-26-2010, 10:40 AM   #8
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

55 amps is too much. The caps can stay on, they are vented. Keep an eye on the water levels as well as the voltages and case temperatures.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car