lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-10-2010, 11:50 PM   #1
bugkiller86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 91 club car burning wires

I have a 91 cc and the A2 wire is getting so hot its burning the coating off and making the battery wires extremely hot. What could be causing this? New wires and batteries! Thanks!
bugkiller86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-11-2010, 09:34 AM   #2
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 91 club car burning wires

Were you having this problem BEFORE you changed batterys and stock 6 guage cables? What type and guage of cables and connection lugs did you use as replacements as this could be part of problem? Sounds like you may possibly have a bad connection inside motor at A-2 post? Is the insulation burning next to motor post, or near resistor coil connection or over whole A-2 wire? Heat normally is caused by loose or high resistance in connections or wire itself and since you have replaced wires that shouldnt be problem?
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2010, 01:29 PM   #3
bugkiller86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

I replaced wires with 4 gauge wires and it is melting on the resistor side of the wire. If I have a problem in the motor can it be fixed or do I need a motor? When I got the cart it didnt have batteries. It has standard battery lugs.
Old 09-13-2010, 01:59 PM   #4
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Were your wires a aftermarket kit or did you make your own? If you made your own cables what kind of cable did you use ( multi strand welding cable 400-600 count ) or anything else? Also did you cripp ends on cables or solder them on, or better yet BOTH?
I still refer back to my original that heat is caused by loose or for some reason high resistance ( like poor cable to end connections ).
To answer your question YES you can have your motor repaired by any motor repair shop that will work on cart motors ( some wont as they know they are run harder than normal motors )?
Old 09-13-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
bugkiller86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Crimped ends and I made my own. 4 gauge welding wire is what I used. The resistor looks rusted could that be a big problem?
Old 09-13-2010, 04:24 PM   #6
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

As long as the resistor coils are not cracked or broken you are OK. When you replaced the cables did you disassemble resistors to plastic board and clean all contacts shiny clean and tighten good and tight? The rust is from all the heat that they creat when running at slower speeds. If you ever have seat off and drive at night you can see how hot they get, in fact if you look under cart at night you will notice light coming from underneath, almost like what the LED lights that they put on cars, bikes, and carts. They can get to almost red-white in color at times when slow speed or when pulling hills etc.
I used to crimp and then solder all cable ends, then install shrink tubing and spray all exposed metal with battery terminal protection just to be sure, later I found a local welding supply shop that if I bought cable and ends from them they would crimp with a hydraulic crimper much better than any I could have done, and I add shrink and spray to finish them off?
Old 09-14-2010, 07:00 AM   #7
bugkiller86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thanks Ill clean all resisotor connections to day. And see how that goes. Thanks
Old 09-14-2010, 04:49 PM   #8
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

man i saw a set on an older E-Z go get so hot they started a fire.....................................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 10:38 AM   #9
bugkiller86
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Yea we dont want no fire... Some heat is ok but no fire...
Old 09-15-2010, 12:23 PM   #10
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

YA Just like when first police cars came out with catalytic converters and because of radio's had to leave engines running in dry grass?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car