lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-21-2010, 08:34 AM   #1
cellz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default Club Car A Frame Lift Camber Questions

I can't win the camber battle on my 98 DS Club Car with a 6" A Frame Lift. I've tried looking at different forums, but without pictures I'm lost.

Can you please help me identify what these different bolts do and how adjusting them will impact my camber, alignment, steering, and stiffness of ride.

-Here's a picture of my front end currently (1st picture)
-What do these bolts on the end of the leaf spring do (2nd picture)
-Are these the only bolts that impact camber? (3rd picture)
-If I tighten this vertical bolt will it tighten up my steering and make it hard to turn? How tight should this vertical bolt be? (4th picture)
-What does this bolt in the middle do? Does it just keep the leaf spring in place and centered? Or, does it adjust something (5th picture)

Thank you for all of your help. I think the responses with pictures will really help a lot of us that have had questions on front end adjustments.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CC Front End.jpg (28.3 KB, 58 views)
File Type: jpg CC Front Leaf Bolt.jpg (26.1 KB, 49 views)
File Type: jpg CC Front Camber Bolts.jpg (20.6 KB, 45 views)
File Type: jpg CC Front End Vertical Bolt.jpg (37.1 KB, 43 views)
File Type: jpg CC Front Leaf Center Bolt.jpg (33.5 KB, 41 views)
cellz is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-21-2010, 08:42 AM   #2
dtkana
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Club Car A Frame Lift Camber Questions

My lift, obviously a different brand had bolts through the lower A frame close to where your rubber stoppers are that you could loosen and slide the A frame in or out for camber. All the bolts in your pictures have nothing to do with camber or any other adjustment for that matter.

Do you have an adjusting bolt similar to what I mentioned?
dtkana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #3
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

I have never installed this exact lift but put several similiar ones so I can make a few guesses about your kits functions? The bolts on the end of springs ( pic 2 ) are for adjusting spring tension ( found only minor changes in lift ) the only time I have made any adjustments to them was when cart started to lean to drivers side some time after installation?
In ( Picture 2 ) are these bolt holes elongated ( side to side )? On lifts I installed they were just drilled straight through and only large enough for bolt size?
IN ( picture 4 ) are you talking about delta king pin nut ( vertical nut ) or horizontal bolt and nut through spring end? In either case do not over tighten as you can stop turning ( vertical nut ) of steering and freeze spring motion ( horizontal bolt and nut ).
In the lifts I installed the nut shown in ( center of picture 5 ) ( which I think is upside down? ) is on a eccentric bolt that moves spring from side to side thus adjusting camber. This is some different than stock spring mounting so I think?? you will need to loosen the 4 bolts that hold plate above spring ( whatever is needed to allow spring movement from side to side )and loosen eccentric nut and rotate bolt head for adjustment. The pictures are not that clear so I am guessing here?
Hope this is of some help.
OLD MEC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
cellz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Thank you for the quick responses, they were helpful. The picture 2 bolts are just large enough for the bolts, not elongated sadly. I can tighten and losen them, but it doesn't seem to impact much. I'm going to call the manufacturer tomorrow AM to confirm their purpose.

In picture 4 I'm wondering about the Delta King Pin Nut (vertical). Would you recommend just tightening firmly?

The picture 5 bolt could very possibly be upside down (can't remember if we messed that one up when we did the lift last year). If I losen the 4 bolts and the eccentric bolt, I will be able to slide the spring left to right, but if I move it toward the passenger side I mess up camber on that side.

I posted on BU as well and I believe the two bolts right above my jack in picture 1 will adjust the camber. I'm replacing a bunch of the steering components this week so I wanted to get some advice on the different parts of the front end before I tore everything apart.

Thank you for the help!
Old 11-23-2010, 08:50 AM   #5
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

On the eccentric bolt you have really very little room for adjustment ( about 1/2 of the thickness of the eccentric bolt ) and unless everything is properly made its going to be a compromise on camber. By trying to center spring you will be as close as possible to correct settings. I find very few after market kits that allow correct camber settings and this is why I stuck with quality kits like Jakes and All Sport American made kits.
On the delta king pin nut I usually torque to about 50-55 foot pounds which is just good and firm.
Old 11-24-2010, 08:20 AM   #6
cellz
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Great. Thank you for your help!
Old 11-25-2010, 12:19 AM   #7
4vertical
Gone Wild

Club Car

it appears to me that:

the bolt that MAY be on an eccentric for the spring will do nothing to adjust camber as the spring does not actually connect to anything on its end as a stocker does. on a stock suspension this would adjust camber as the leaf spring acts as the lower a arm

the 2 bolts on the botom in the center above your jack appear to be slotted and both look to be shifted to the drivers side. these are where your adjustment should be.

as another thought, clearer brighter pictures would help us better to help you
4vertical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:51 AM   #8
OLD MEC
Gone Wild

Club Car

4vertical--Good pick up, I just ignored the fact and picture that spring does not connect to spindel. I guess at my age I have always connected the spring with camber by moving it from side to side so it was stuck in my brain? On the similar kits I have installed "JAKES" and "ALL SPORT" they were right on and needed no camber adjustment except one a year or so later did the driver dip and I adjusted spring end to correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car