lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-26-2011, 03:21 PM   #1
med123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Battery Charger working right or not ?

I have a 2006 Ezgo Electric cart with Trogan Batteries. I'm not sure my charger is working correctly. The charger is a Power Wise 36 volt Ezgo Textron. After playing golf I will plug the power cord into wall socket, then plug cord into cart. Showing 20 on the gauge it will fall to 0 after 2 or 3 hours of charging but the charger continues to run. I know this because the charger is still humming. After 10 hours it was still humming and still showing 0 on the gauge. Charger says it will shut off after batteries are fulluy charged. I have tried this several times now with same results. Batteries are bubbling away so I would think they have a full charge on them and water level is fine in all batteries. Is the charger working correctly? Thanks to all.
med123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-26-2011, 03:45 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Battery Charger working right or not ?

Welcome to BGW

What year batteries are they???

Sounds like it's ok to me, it can take up to 16 hours for the pack to reach a full charge, as long as the batteries are not getting hot, you need to let the charger finish.
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 09:26 PM   #3
med123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I'm afraid if I let the Charger keep running I will burn my batteries up.I pluged everything back in , gage showed 10 I let it run another hour, gauge read 0, let it run another hour...popped the caps on battery and they were bubbling away...so I unpluged the battery again...I don't think it should take that long to charge up after they had already been charged fully....Puzzled about this.Since I have had the charger (2 weeks) I have never had the charger shut off unless I shut it off.
Old 03-26-2011, 09:49 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You need a voltmeter to determine if the charger is working properly. Bubbling or gassing is not n indication of a complete charge cycle. The charger will run at 3-5 amps for several hours in the 3rd phase of the charge cycle. It seems that the charger's amp gauge is reading low? But you are not allowing it to finish. Only a meter will tell ..... the pack will reach 42-44v when it is completely charged up and the charger will shut off at that voltage. Hope this helps
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 04:51 AM   #5
langstonjones
Gone Wild

Club Car

If you had one of these http://www.cartsunlimited.net/Digita...ry_Meters.html you could sit back and enjoy a PBR and know exactly what it's doing. On second thought, you may want to enjoy a 12 packer cause watching a charge cycle is about as interesting as watching oysters breed
langstonjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 07:14 AM   #6
FIXEROFCARTS
Gone Wild

You do need a digital volt meter to check the batteries while they are on the charger, this will tell you if a problem exists. You dont state year of the batteries. Battery pack voltage can get as high as 48 volts before shut off (depending on age of batteries). But first step is get a meter, and take some readings, from there it is easy.
FIXEROFCARTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2011, 09:35 PM   #7
med123
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Batteries are 6yrs old, the cart is a 2005 not 2006.With this meter installed will this turn the charger on and off as needed?
Old 03-27-2011, 09:37 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Not sure I understand your question. Seems your charger's ammeter is not working correctly. You should have a technician take a look at it.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO