lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 AM   #11
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 7.8 Volts on All 6 Trojan T-875s ? Help?

A battery pack will recover some of it's voltage while sitting still for hours. Your cart may not be charging at all. Attach your multimeter to the main pack terminals, note the pack voltage. Now, with the meter still attached engage the charger. If the voltage jumps up when the charger starts it's cycle you have proven that the charger is working. The voltage should continue to climb as time passes, and should reach around 60 volts at the end of the cycle. If this isn't happening you either have a faulty charger or a faulty OBC.
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-30-2011, 10:51 PM   #12
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

Just for grins , what model and year is the cart ?

I agree with Gornoman ,do the test to seethe before starting charge voltage,
then plug the charger up and see how may volts it goes up to.
Toward the end of charge it should be well over 60 volts.
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:29 AM   #13
Rhetor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Ok...back to playing with this thing...got a four year old grandson coming in 12 days...he is gonna need to drive!

The batteries charge up, but the red light on the dash comes on and stay on the goes off for a while, then back on for a while...while sitting on the charger.

I reset the OBC...no change.

So, allow a newb a dome question...I still think it might be a bad battery...do I unhook all of the cables to check to check each batts voltage? I am getting 7.8 volts....on each battery with cables attached....

Frustrated.
Rhetor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:44 AM   #14
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You do not need to disconnect the cables to get individual readings. 7.8 on an 8v is way too low. Leaving the batteries sit discharged like this will allow the plates to sulfate, reducing their ability to take a charge.

Check the whole pack voltage. Then plug the charger in and re check it. If it does not go up you are not getting a charge. The voltage should begin creeping up immediately.

All of the batteries are connect together. Only two battery posts are not connected to another battery.... these two posts are Main positive & negative. This is where you get the pack reading.

Report your findings here.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2011, 11:46 AM   #15
ajbrown
Getting Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by gornoman View Post
OK, hold the phone here. Let's first determine if the charger is getting amps to the pack. Take a pack voltage reading BEFORE starting the charger, and another reading while the charger is engaged and humming. If the reading does not jump up when on the charger you have a simple issue.
Maybe I missed it, but I think you need to answer the questions in this post.
ajbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 12:37 PM   #16
Rhetor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Back on it...trying to answer some questions I quqnderstand as I go . . . Total newb to golf carts here.

Left off the charger for three days . . . Red light on dash come pans intermittently those three days while off charger.

Checked batteries off charger: pack at 43 volts...each batter about 7.6 volts.

Put on charger, which when on and off immediately twice, then on for good. While charging just now, pack started to rise .1 at a time. Got up to 50.2 volts for pack during charge, and batteries each up to 8.33 to 8.4 during when charger active. Charger shut off for a minute and pack and individual battery nausmbers started going down again as, pack back to 4.3' ea h individual battery down to 7.6. When charger kicked back aeon after a minute, numbers went back up: pack over 50v and rising .1 at a time; each individual battery uaap to 8.34 to 8.4 during the charge.s

Other questions? Insights?

I started a little home vacation time today.
Old 05-12-2011, 01:15 PM   #17
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Those #s belong to dead batteries..... Pack should come up to 58.3 -63v when fully charged and settle (12hr later) To 50.9v anything below this indicates battery problems.
Old 05-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
shadowman
The Last Moja Morani

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Those #s belong to dead batteries..... Pack should come up to 58.3 -63v when fully charged and settle (12hr later) To 50.9v anything below this indicates battery problems.
i agree thats where i would concentrate......................
shadowman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 04:37 PM   #19
Rhetor
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowman View Post
i agree thats where i would concentrate......................
Thanks....I guess I will buy all 6 new 8 volt batteries. Just hard to swallow that six 3 year old Trojans died at nearly the exactly the same time....guess that is why they only give a one year warranty.

Wow...when this thing started, a few weeks ago, I figured just one dead battery to replace...not all six, but each of them is staying at 7.6 off the charger...and about 8.4 when charger is running.

So, now I have to find a place around Atlanta for batts...local guy who swapped em out 3 years wants $635 plus tax for new Trojans, plus labor.
Old 05-12-2011, 04:48 PM   #20
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

That is not a bad price.

Trace your steps and see why the old Trojans only lasted 3 yrs.
I saw a set last 18 months once. When I told the owner what the problem with their cart was ... they were incredulous!
"What!? You have to put water in the batteries!?" But any # of things effect battery life span and yes they are all connected all go thru the same crap and can all die on the same hill

I have a lot of battery tutorial stuff on my website, you can go there and read how to best use and care for your batteries
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car