lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-27-2011, 06:48 PM   #1
DBC
Not Yet Wild

Default old cart + impact= no power

EZGO textron, 79Go3 I77264, 36 vdc, 6 batteries, resistor coils, GE motor, all looks original:

The cart was backed into a solid wall with enough force that it stopped working immediately.

Having searched your archives I figured the impact must have loosened a wire connection. The cart is now on blocks and every connection has been cleaned, polished and firmly tightened. Every wire has continuity and I did check ohms but have no idea what the changing numbers mean. (I am new at this and bought a Innova 3320 multimeter at the local Autozone to use with this cart.) When testing each item separately the accelerator micro switch works and the solenoid checks out fine as does the key switch and micro switch on the F/R control.

The problem is that the solenoid does not activate (no click) when the foot pedal is depressed.

After finding some more archives: I have by passed the solenoid with car jumper cables and still nothing from the motor. No smell, motion or even a hum.

My world is silent although not cold as the heat index is a touch over 100 today. This old cart is a work partner on our Iowa acreage.
DBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-27-2011, 08:12 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: old cart + impact= no power

It is hard to guess what...but something is not making connection...what drive system do you have resistor coil or controller? Since the cart is on blocks have you tried putting a jumper on the 2 big terminals on the solenoid?
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 08:18 PM   #3
GreshamCA
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

At 32 years old could the metal in one of the coils become brittle after all the heating and snapped at impact?
GreshamCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 09:55 PM   #4
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

It could have, but you could also have snapped something in the motor..... Have you checked the voltage at the end of the coil pack? Typically at full pedal down, the coils are all bypassed.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2011, 10:43 PM   #5
DBC
Not Yet Wild

Scotty B,
It is good to know that a connection may still be the problem. I thought I had followed the power path well enough. Are the coils part of the power for the motor? In other words would the motor run without the coils in the loop?

My understanding is that, yes, it is a coil system. They are located behind and to the side of the motor. Not very convenient to get to so tomorrow I will remove a panel and pay better attention to them.

When the cart did run on occasion the coils would heat enough to smell if wet or horse hay had filtered onto them and at night have some glow.

Aside from a obvious break what else should be looked for? Would it be possible or wise to use a jumper cable as a by pass test around the coils?

I thank you for your interest.
Old 07-27-2011, 10:46 PM   #6
DBC
Not Yet Wild

Gresham CA,
I will give the coils a good look. As I recall they were rusty and pitted.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:30 PM   #7
DBC
Not Yet Wild

rabbitreborn,
Nothing would surprise me as to the results of inertia/impact. It took a ten pound mall and awhile to reposition two horse stalls and aline doors. I was told the horses did not stay around to see what had "attacked" them. It was lucky in that the paddock doors were open so they could head for the field with a clear path.

Other than using a continuity tester I don't know much about testing. I have purchased a digital multimeter (Innova 3320) from the local Autozone but from the instructions I am not sure if it is rated for this situation. The six batteries do not have any information on them as to the amps. The meter is rated for MAX of DC10A also 10 MegOhm input. This doesn't mean much to me other than 36 volts has more power than the 12 volts I am used to with wiring trailers and only testing continuity.
The wife says she wants to keep this old cart so I don't mind learning something new to keep it going. If needed can you suggest a voltage tester for this system.
Old 07-27-2011, 11:58 PM   #8
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The digital meter you have is fine for testing the cart, put it on DC volts, attach the black probe to the main battery pack neg and use the red probe to check for power on the end of the coils with the pedal fully depressed.....
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2011, 07:28 AM   #9
DBC
Not Yet Wild

rabbitreborn,
Instructions understood. I will report findings.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:56 AM   #10
DBC
Not Yet Wild

ScottyB & Gresham CA,

You both are correct. The middle coil was cracked apart at the eye loop. It could not be seen among the rust. I have made a new loop and reshaped the coil so that it does not short on itself. The coil lost about 2 inches of wire. As a side note, I did notice the 3 coils are a slightly different gage.

Tags
36 vdc, textron
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO