lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-31-2012, 08:01 PM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Hot plastic smell??

I ride my cart through our fields and woods. I usually ride pretty slow, looking at nature. This past week, I noticed a strange smell. My husband said he's always smelled it, but it was new to me. Today my son said it smelled like hot plastic to him. I felt the wires, the batteries, the controller cover and the box behind it (motor??) and only the controller cover felt just a tiny bit warm.

Is there something I should be looking for? Should I be worried? I definitely need to buy the right fire extinguisher this week. (which one again? I think its the marine one?).
Thanks.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: Hot plastic smell??

I guess this is a 06 txt series? if it is , check all your cable ends and make sure they are tight and not burnt looking, check the back of the F/R switch where the cables hook up and make sure there tight, look at the F/R close and see if anything is melted or burnt, check the cables at the motor to, if you don't seee anything, remove the cover on the controller and check all cables and the solenoid
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2012, 09:05 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Check the F&R for signs of heat. It is common to see melted plastic around the housing at the large terminal studs. If that's the case it leave you in the lurch soon.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 08:22 AM   #4
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks rib and scottyb.

To check the terminal studs on the F/R, I need to remove the cover, right?
Yes, I have a lifted 2006 TXT series.
Are some of those connections to you mentioned underneath the cart or are they all accessible from under the seat?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 AM   #5
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Yes under the F&R cover.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 11:28 AM   #6
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Should I disconnect some cable to the batteries when checking out the controller and the motor?
Old 04-01-2012, 08:59 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If your cart has a " tow - run " switch, place it in tow and disconnect the + cable that goes to the solenoid before you do any work on the electrical system!
Reconnect the + cable and then put the switch to run when you are finished your work.
To do tests of the controller and motor that won't involve disconnecting the batteries, leave the switch in the run position.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
Thanks rib and scottyb.

To check the terminal studs on the F/R, I need to remove the cover, right?

Yes

Yes, I have a lifted 2006 TXT series.

Are some of those connections to you mentioned underneath the cart or are they all accessible from under the seat?

Yes under the seat
Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM   #9
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks Rib.
Simpleman........I don't have a run/tow switch. What should I do then?
Old 04-02-2012, 01:04 PM   #10
rib33024

you don't have to disconnect any thing to see if there is some thing wrong, just look and if it is bad, now if it is melted at the F/R then disconnect the main pos+ and neg- remember where the cables go if you take any loose/take some pics before taking anything loose, now if the F/R is good? ( i think the F/R will be the problem), if the F/R is good, remove the POS battery cable and the neg cable tape up the ends of the cables/ no sparks, remove the cover on the controller, there's four bolts the two on the bottom are a pain to get to, inspect all the cable ends on the controller, and the solenoid, did you ever up grade the cables? with the lift and big tires your pulling alot of amps, if you take any cables loose from the motor use two wrenches, one to hold the nut under the cable and one for the nut on top of the cable DO NOT let the stud turn in the motor IF you get that far, be careful

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO