lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 10:56 AM   #1
2old2fit
Not Yet Wild

Default Upgraded EZ GO pds still will not run

I have a 2001 pds cart with 6" lift kit and 22" tires. Before the motor upgrade the cart would generally run okay in reverse, but in forward it would make an initial lunge forward and quit. I just put in a new motor (GE D1162), controller (alltrax dcx500), and solenoid (MZJ-400). After the cart upgrades it is still doing the same thing. The controller has the green light so I guess everything is okay there. Batteries have 38.1 volts. Could it be a bad f/r switch or pedal switch? How would I test these 2 switches, or would you suspect something else? Open to suggestions.
2old2fit is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 AM   #2
2old2fit
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Upgraded EZ GO pds still will not run

Decided to test individuals batteries as well. All readings are between 6 and 6.5. Also noticed I get an error code for "Battery Under Voltage" while pressing on the foot pedal. LED returns to green when there is no load on the pedal.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:37 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Since you've replaced the controller, solenoid and motor, the problem is most likely in the batteries or cables, but might be in the solenoid activation circuit.
Also, please verify it only acts up in Forward and not Reverse.

If so, that more or less narrows it down to the F/R switch or Controller.
However the controller coming up with a low voltage error throws a monkey wrench into the equation.

Does the solenoid click when cart wont run?

What is the battery pack voltage when the cart doesn't run?

You can check the F/R switch with an Ohmmeter. You've got an adapter harness to connect the original PDS controller wiring the the Alltrax controller, so find the plug that originally plugged into J-1 on the PDS controller and unplug it.
In Reverse, you should have continuity between Pins 1 & 2
In Forward, you should have continuity between Pins 1 & 3
Wiggle the F/R switch while testing.

Attach a DVM to the battery pack and monitor voltage while driving.
Does it drop way down when cart misbehaves?
Do same with individual batteries, I'd start with the battery(s) with the lowest voltage first.

Hope this helps.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2012, 01:13 PM   #4
2old2fit
Not Yet Wild

I have three batteries that are suspect. going to replace them and see what happens. If issue isn't resolved I'll run the other diagnostics you suggested.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
2old2fit
Not Yet Wild

Replaced the 3 batteries. Still getting Battery Under Voltage code from the controller, but voltage reading on battery pack is 38.1.
Continuity from 1 to 2, and 1 to 3 tested okay.

Solenoid does not click.

Can't really test voltage when running since it only moves about an inch and quits.

Get the same result in foward and reverse.

Any ideas?
Old 04-01-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
2old2fit
Not Yet Wild

The other issue is the cart wants to go in reverse with the switch on forward, and visa versa. I have check to make sure the F1 & F2 cables are connected correctly and they appear to be. The blue wire on the solenoid is attached what is labelled #2 on the solenoid, and the yellow wire is connected to #1 on the solenoid per the alltrax wiring diagram.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:20 PM   #7
2old2fit
Not Yet Wild

I think I got it figured out. I had the diode on backwards. I found another forum that was taking about the red, yellow and blue wires and their relationship to the diode. I tried removing the diode to see what would happen and it almost went through the garage door. I put the diode back on and it seemed to work okay.
As for the going reverse in forward, I switched the wires at the contoller so now forward is forward, and reverse is reverse. Is that okay, or do I need to do something else.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO