lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2012, 12:40 AM   #51
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: Radio Install.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elementlaxer View Post
Assuming rain would be extremely rare, it would almost be unnecessary to spend the extra money, right?
If you are mounting it in the center of the dash, have a roof and windshield to provide some protection from the occasional rain storm blowing directly on the radio face, seal the cowl where it mounts to the frame so that there is no chance of water dripping on the top of the radio, and have some sort of protective shield on the bottom to keep water from being sprayed on the radio and wiring from the tires, it should be trouble free.

If you're mounting it a glove box, I would honestly suggest a cover of some sort to protect it from the water since the glove boxes are right at the sides of the cart and not really protected from blowing rain by the roof and windshield.

Personally, I'm going to use an iPod for my work cart so I can protect it from the elements if necessary.

I also have an old half working Boss car radio sitting on a shelf in my garage if I decide to mount a full size radio in it. If that radio were to get ruined, I honestly wouldn't lose any sleep over it.

Hope this helps answer your question,
-Scott H.
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-23-2012, 01:17 PM   #52
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by as350pilot View Post
Make sure that if you go the "accessory" (separate 12v) battery way that you run the ground directly to the battery, and not to the frame of the golf cart. For example if you install a stereo, run the RED (+) to the 12v battery positive terminal, and the BLACK (-) to the 12v battery negative terminal.

If you get a distribution block like this. it will make your install easier. Run a 10ga red wire from the 12v + to the distribution block and a 10ga black wire to the ground bus. Then your accessories can be run to the distribution block and can be fused.
AS,

I bought a distribution block today. Looks like you run one wire from the positive side of battery to the block and the negative wires from your lights, radio, etc would come back directly to the negative side of the battery post, not the block itself? Also, can 16 gauge wire be used instead of 10 gauge?

Thanks
dawgn86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:26 PM   #53
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I would use 10ga to supply the block from the battery and for the common return. Remember, everything you (or any subsequent owner) tap off that block is supplied by that single wire. Use the 16ga for feeding the accessories, but use a good heavy wire to connect the fuse block and battery.

Some fuse blocks are available with a grounding pole, some are not.
kab69440 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2012, 05:28 PM   #54
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

wasnt thinking...I will look around for one with a ground as well.
Old 08-24-2012, 01:06 PM   #55
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kab69440 View Post
I would use 10ga to supply the block from the battery and for the common return. Remember, everything you (or any subsequent owner) tap off that block is supplied by that single wire. Use the 16ga for feeding the accessories, but use a good heavy wire to connect the fuse block and battery.

Some fuse blocks are available with a grounding pole, some are not.
I cannot find a fuse block around here with a ground. Can I run a 10 gauge wire from positive side of battery to fuse block and run my ground from accessories back to the negative post of battery with 16 gauge wire?
Old 08-24-2012, 02:26 PM   #56
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I'd use 10ga for that as well. The ground is carrying the load for all accessories in use simultaneously.

Keep in mind that the longer the wire= more resistance generated. You want heavier wire to lessen that resistance to current flow.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:22 PM   #57
DraginRat
Not Yet Wild

I have a 1987 EZGO Resistor Cart. (36 volt). This cart will be exclusively used as a pit vehicle and tow vehicle for a race car. I need running lights on it (rules), and would like to power the electric fan and water pump on the race car while towing back to the pit space.

This is a smaller three wheel cart, and I really don't have room for an additional 12 volt battery. So, with that in mind, I am thinking of using a reducer and running the lights and race car with that.

Are there any issues I should be concerned with?

Thanks for what ever help you can give

Ken Gasbarri
DraginRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #58
kab69440
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

As long as all that draw is less than the convertor provide continuously, it should be fine.
Old 09-03-2012, 08:07 PM   #59
redfro
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

I used one like this off of ebay. The shiney part has a ground wire from the battery connected, and all your grounds go there. The fuses have labels that go on the cover for all your accessories.

http://www.righttoolusa.com/p/Page-A...d-4137701.html
redfro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 09:02 PM   #60
dawgn86
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I bought one from Ebay by BlueSea..just havent found a place to mount it

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Blue-Sea-Sys...76d391&vxp=mtr

Last edited by dawgn86; 09-03-2012 at 09:06 PM.. Reason: edit information

Tags
i know, search is my friend..
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO