lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-23-2012, 07:09 PM   #1
JuanRodriguez
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default 2000 g16.....

Battery was replaced due to a dead cell two weeks ago...... Current voltage reading is 13.08V Battery terminals clean and tight so are the rest of the connections to the selenoid, starter/generator, etc....

By the way, this issue was happening before the new battery was installed as well.

Here is the issue: Every once in a great while, when I depress the gas pedal from a stop, you can hear a relay "click" and the generator/starter will spin the motor over (as usual) but the motor won't fire. Depressing the gas pedal after a few more times and cart runs "as usual".......

When the cart is running (which is 99.9 % of the time) , it runs smooth with no hesitation, no cutting in and out at all, no back firing, etc......

But this little issue crops up from time to time....The cart has never left me stranded but I'm thinking that my luck will run out one of these days.....

Can someone point me in the right direction as to what might be causing this to happen ? Is it the relay that may be at fault even though I can hear it "click" ??

Just to clarify, the electrical diagram on this cart shows TWO relays..... a small rectangular relay that wires plug into (that' the one that's clicking, I think) and a second relay that to me looks more like a typical selenoid as it is round with some screw type connectors on top....

Any help with this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanx !
JuanRodriguez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-25-2012, 12:00 PM   #2
JuanRodriguez
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2000 g16.....

No one has a clue ?
Old 08-25-2012, 12:18 PM   #3
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Sorry Juan, I meant to answer the other day and forgot. My 97 G16 did the same thing you are talking about, I ended up replacing the spark plug and that fixed the problem. For some reason the plug that was in there started shorting out through the body of the plug.
The othe suggestion I have is to find neutral press the gass and watch the fuel filter, if you dont see fuel moving through the filter check and/or replace all the fuel lines (about 6.00 at your local hardware).

Good luck and let us know how it works out for ya
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:23 PM   #4
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

My Wifes' will try to start,but only loads-down the Starter/Gen.The belt is slipping just enough to keep it from starting,could this be your complaint?
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 12:34 PM   #5
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez View Post
No one has a clue ?
I have a clue.....several But seriously, since the starter "allways" turns over the engine, your problem is spark (like ess said) try a new plug NGK-BPR2ES (Yamaha's don't like AC or Champion), fuel-ethonal gas reaks havic on small engine carbs, take the carb off,clean it and make shure the main jet (it sits in the float bowel) isn't partially plugged and make shure the carb gaskets are good and the 2 12mm head nuts that hold the air box on are tight. Could be compression related, but I'd bet it's spark, more likely fuel issue. Good luck
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 09:12 PM   #6
JuanRodriguez
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanx for the responses, guys. I really appreciate it....

I don't think it's fuel related as the car runs like a top 99.9% of the time. My wife and I just got back home from playing golf this evening and there were absolutely NO issues.... It's hard to diagnose something like this when it happens only very occasionally.... And when it does happen, the "incident" is very brief.... after a few seconds, the car will run like nothing ever happened.

I replaced the plug, air and fuel filter less than one yr ago but it could be time to do another "tune up"....I'll follow the suggestion to use an NGK plug as it has a Champion in it now...

Pachanga90---- the starter/generator turns the motor over briskly ALL the time. No bogging, etc..... when this issue comes up, it's like the ignition is not getting any spark...... This happens for a few seconds and then the car will run "as usual" ..........

smallblock---- I use "Marine Stabil" in my fuel on a regular basis (ie, every time I fill the fuel tank.) This marine stabil is an additive used to combat the ethanol in the fuel. I also use 89 octane in the car.

I'll start by replacing the spark plug and take it from there......

I'll definitely report back but it may take a while for this to happen again.
Old 08-25-2012, 09:53 PM   #7
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by JuanRodriguez View Post
Thanx for the responses, guys. I really appreciate it....

I don't think it's fuel related as the car runs like a top 99.9% of the time. My wife and I just got back home from playing golf this evening and there were absolutely NO issues.... It's hard to diagnose something like this when it happens only very occasionally.... And when it does happen, the "incident" is very brief.... after a few seconds, the car will run like nothing ever happened.

I replaced the plug, air and fuel filter less than one yr ago but it could be time to do another "tune up"....I'll follow the suggestion to use an NGK plug as it has a Champion in it now...

Pachanga90---- the starter/generator turns the motor over briskly ALL the time. No bogging, etc..... when this issue comes up, it's like the ignition is not getting any spark...... This happens for a few seconds and then the car will run "as usual" ..........

smallblock---- I use "Marine Stabil" in my fuel on a regular basis (ie, every time I fill the fuel tank.) This marine stabil is an additive used to combat the ethanol in the fuel. I also use 89 octane in the car.

I'll start by replacing the spark plug and take it from there......
I'll definitely report back but it may take a while for this to happen again.
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2012, 09:52 AM   #8
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Another thought..When I got my Wifes' cart it was running great,then just quit,then would run,finally it was dead.It would turn-over,but no spark,or sometimes very weak.The ground from the electrical-panel to the engine-harness had a bad spot in the wire.Replaced the wire,its' been fine since.
Old 08-26-2012, 04:13 PM   #9
JuanRodriguez
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Ok, here's an update.........unfortunately, not good results......

I changed the oil, greased the fittings, checked the battery and air filter and did an overall check to make sure that all the electrical connections were tight and corrosion free..... I also installed a new NGK plug , an NGK-BPR2ES. BTW, that is what was in there and my records indicate that I last changed it in December 2011.... So it's not very old. The plug that I took out looked great. I have some experience in "reading" a plug since I used to work on small engines and have had a couple of gasoline powered radio controlled helicopters and airplanes....

Anyhow, I took the cart for a ride to the gas station to fill up the tank...... after the fill, it happened again !! The motor started to crank over , as usual, but it would not fire..... It only did that for a short few seconds and then the motor fired and ran like a top all the way home (about 5 minute ride)...

So, I'm afraid I'm back to square one with this thing.

Fortunately, this condition lasts for only a few seconds but I'm concerned that one of these days the motor will not start and will leave me (us) stranded.....

I'm leaning toward an intermittent fault with the TCI unit (electronic ignition module ??)

Any thoughts beyond what has been suggested ??
Old 08-26-2012, 04:50 PM   #10
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

Check the ground from the electrical-panel to the engine and the battery with an ohm-meter.If that wire is internally damaged as ours was,it will do what you are stating,If the ground is good,the CDI-box may be going south.To test that,set the cart on jack-stands,have someone work the gas-pedal.When the cart starts,knock your knuckles on the CDI,if it sputters or quits,there is your problem.Hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha