lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-03-2012, 06:08 PM   #1
04DarkShadowGT
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 PDS Rear End Clicking

One of our neighbors has a 2008 PDS cart, no lift, stock wheels, stock (no) chip, 2011 T105s, with a rear seat.

It was working fine until he towed it when in the run position. Now it makes a clicking sound somewhere from the rear end when you either push it or drive it.

He said that he drove it for a short drive and at times it would seem like it was really struggling to make power.

We got it to our garage, jacked up the rear end, and spun the wheels by hand. Only one wheel would turn at a time, the other would not rotate the opposite way. It would make the clicking noise. It did this for both sides.

We then put it in run and fwd, gave it just a litte gas and again only one tire (passenger) would spin at all.

I would assume that means it is rear end or motor related, I guess I would lean towards the motor because there should be no correlation to the diff and the switch being in run/tow. I do not know how they towed it or how far.

Any place to start looking would be helpful. Could you burn up the motor or at least break it by towing it in run?
04DarkShadowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-03-2012, 07:43 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 2008 PDS Rear End Clicking

Towing in Run mode is bad... Could be motor, controller and/or solenoid.. Put it in diag mode and see what it beeps.. codes are on the controller cover. key switch off, FNR switch from N to R 5 times and back to N. Should beep 1 time if there is no chip. Drive it and see what happens
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:04 AM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04DarkShadowGT View Post
I would assume that means it is rear end or motor related, I guess I would lean towards the motor because there should be no correlation to the diff and the switch being in run/tow. I do not know how they towed it or how far.

Any place to start looking would be helpful. Could you burn up the motor or at least break it by towing it in run?
Towing a PDS cart in the Run mode stresses all the mechanical components in the drive train as well as all the electrical components that feed amps to the motor.
What happens is that full regenerative braking is applied in an attempt to reduce the cart's speed to 2MPH.

---------------

Clicking sound or not, the cart should roll freely when pushed by hand in Tow mode.
It weighs half a ton, so it takes a bit to get it moving, but it should take much to keep it moving.

If it's hard to push, that may be the reason it struggles to make power.

If it pushes freely, the controller is probably toast, or it could be a battery or two that are shot. Or maybe the solenoid contacts are burnt.

I believe, you've just got to suspect everything is bad and start proving them good one at a time.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 08:33 AM   #4
04DarkShadowGT
Not Yet Wild

Thanks guys, I'll update when I get a chance.
04DarkShadowGT is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO