lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-14-2013, 06:48 PM   #1
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Aluminum vs Steel battery tray

I need to order a new one for my build and they are both around the same price. I know the aluminum will never rust out, but also know it can cause problems where it bolts to the frame. Just looking for some opinions
Bmatlock00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-14-2013, 10:01 PM   #2
gotmud10
Getting Wild

Default Re: Aluminum vs Steel battery tray

Ive used the aluminum ones a few times and i have no complaints about them. You can cut the old tray out without even taking the body off to install them. However, I disagree that they wont get holes in them. I have seen them with the "rusted out" look. Battery acid can be a bad boy haha
gotmud10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 10:25 PM   #3
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Yeah I guess it was bad wording saying "I know they won't rust out" I was just going on what the sellers say. I've already got the body off so installation won't be a problem. I was just wondering how they hold up and if they last any longer. Thanks for the reply!
Old 01-15-2013, 05:09 AM   #4
sportcoupe
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

If bodies already off I would go with steel direct replacement. They are powder coated and will last long time if you keep batteries clean and don't overfill water.

Aluminum is bare and will corrode just as fast as steel when subjected to battery acid over time. Just my opinion.
sportcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2013, 09:39 AM   #5
Melonbuster
Not Yet Wild

Spend an extra $8 and get a can of rustoleum bedliner. Encapsulate either one before u install it and u will be good for a long time. Get 2 cans and do all the metal in that area and you are really set.
Melonbuster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2013, 06:25 PM   #6
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

I started off with the spray, then bought the brush-on. Much thicker, and cheaper.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #7
Bmatlock00
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
I started off with the spray, then bought the brush-on. Much thicker, and cheaper.
Thanks yurtle, I have the old tray out and the new tray will be here Monday. By the way I see you're running the same motor that I have in my other cart. I'm topping out at 31mph on 48v with low profile tires. Just wondering what tire size you have and what speeds you're hitting?
Old 01-19-2013, 05:43 AM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bmatlock00 View Post
Thanks yurtle, I have the old tray out and the new tray will be here Monday. By the way I see you're running the same motor that I have in my other cart. I'm topping out at 31mph on 48v with low profile tires. Just wondering what tire size you have and what speeds you're hitting?
I don't have any flat areas, so I really don't know what speed I'm getting, but I have stock 18" tires and I'd guess it's in the 25 - 30 mph. I can get over 35 downhill, but steering gets squirrelly with folks in the back.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO