lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-06-2013, 07:08 PM   #11
cableguy_hd
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: best way to cut 2G cable

I know the title says cutting, but if your gonna make your own I would watch this for a finished product
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/extre...do-solder.html
cableguy_hd is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Afternoon Gents: In between customers, I have called 4 welding supply shops, I had to explain the term cable lugs, to them?

two of the guys said why not get regular bolt down batter clamps? I tried to explain- these are 48 volt can be 400 plus amps, that why hot carts use bigger cables

When I tried to get the solder plugs that you put in the battery cable end and then heat and have the cable melt into the cable end, seen in the one video supplied by Gonorman ( I think it was his) they really flat lined- I might as well have called Santa Clause Gay? any suggestions Where a heathen like myself could buy them

maybe I am asking for the wrong item or using the wron terminology?

What do you mean 48 volt golf cart? I thought they only were in 36 volt and they use 6 or 8 gauge wire!

I was not speaking their language ( I usuallu do not make these types of remarks, because I was not the sharpest tool in the drawer after My Fall- but these folks made me look like albert Einstein) they just weren't getting it-
csport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 05:12 PM   #13
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

sorry I p[osted twice
Old 03-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #14
88 ez go
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

You can buy the solder at a auto parts store got mine from ORiellys auto
88 ez go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
DaveTM
Gone Wild

I'm sure the solder works just fine 'n dandy......but if you cut the wire clean, cut back the insulation, place the wire in the lug properly, and WHACK it with the crimp tool I posted a page or so back, you will zoom along just fine for many years without any smells, burning or toasting of things that shouldn't be toasted.

Dave
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:45 PM   #16
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Here is a link to the solder slugs.

Here is a link to tinned cable ends.

Heat shrink

4awg cable

Propane torch

Not to be a smart behind, but it took me all of 1 minute to search for those items on the website provided. I am not suggesting you have to buy the items from the site, but it is a god resource none the less.

Good luck.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:52 PM   #17
pachanga90
I Refuse To Get Stuck!!!

E-Z-GO

I use a set of Cable-Cutters from Harbor Freight almost daily doing Installs on trucks.They are the same size as a pair of regular Pliers and cost about $10(10" Cable Cutter Pittsburgh - item#40507).I've had them for 6 or 7yrs. now,and they still cut great.Crimping is perfectly fine,We've crimped Heavy-Truck and Equipment cables (2/0,3/0,4/0--2/0 is over twice the size of 2ga!)for years with no comebacks.Always heat-shrink them too.
pachanga90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:09 PM   #18
csport
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I called more welding and auto parts stores- I really NEVER thought
to look on line- lol
thanks
chris
Old 03-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #19
Marathon Man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I use the harbor freight cutters and these crimpers one does 22 to 4 guage the other does 12 to 2 guage I got a deal on the pair from amazon I use them multiple times a day and its a good solid crimp. No offense but I cannot stand that smasher crimping tool.
Marathon Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 08:36 AM   #20
sleepyluke
Gone Wild

OP, I am the one that started that DO solder post becuase of the same question. I called welding supply, and auto parts places around here and never even found someone that knew what the solder pellets were, much less had them. Welding place told me they would crimp them for me, so that may be an option if you are nice about it, most of those guys are very helpful when it comes to unusual redneck projects!!

I used the Harbor freight smaller bolt cutters 8" I think, on mine, about $10 and very clean cuts.

And I got my wire and tinned lugs through genuine dealz. They were one of the ones that camy up when I searched for marine cable or something to that effect. They semi specialize in marine wiring. 25 tinned lugs (I figured I would mess up a couple) and 25 feet of 2 gauge 3 feet of heat shrink under $100. Took me most of the day to do them, but that was more the in between projects, but not hard if you have done much soldering, but if this is your first attempt, it is alot tougher to get a good solder on that big of a wire.
sleepyluke is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO